Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Assembling spit rims - seal or not?
tegwin

posted on 16/10/24 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Assembling spit rims - seal or not?

Finally getting my BBS RX2 wheels refurbed for my tintop.

They are two piece split - the outer rim is continuous so there is no issue with air leaking at a split join.

Question is - when I reassemble them should I use some kind of joining compound between the centre and the rim? Some videos on YouTube I see are just assembled dry. Can see pros and cons for dry and sealed.. what are your thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

TimC

posted on 16/10/24 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I did with mine. I used the best clear RTV I could find. I had one leaker though and re-did it with grey polyurethane which solved the issue.

I just dug-out my old blog post here which perhaps isn't as helpful as I recall: https://timsmnr.blogspot.com/2013/05/because-youre-wurth-it.html

Sam_68

posted on 16/10/24 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
If the outer rim is continuous, what's the point? What would the sealant be sealing?
westf27

posted on 16/10/24 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Could prevent corrosion in the joint caused by water ingress.

nick205

posted on 16/10/24 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding...

If the outer rim is continuous then how is it a split rim?

Surely what you have is a rim with the ability to fit different hub to rim sections (spokes)?

I can see that would allow you to alter the appearance and offset, but not the rim width.

If that's correct then I'm not sure what the sealant would be sealing.

Threadlock perhaps on the threaded fixings, but only in accordance with the wheel manufacturers instructions.

tegwin

posted on 16/10/24 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, they call it a split rim but I supposed technically that is not what they are... just two piece wheels.

Sealing would keep moisture out and prevent corrosion perhaps, but otherwise, no purpose.

Just dropped them at the powder coaters -I split the wheels 16 years ago and they have been sat in my shed pending refurb since then

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

coyoteboy

posted on 16/10/24 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I had to take apart a two piece wheel which had been RTVd together I nearly destroyed it.
cliftyhanger

posted on 16/10/24 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I would want a dry joint in there, not sure I would even want powder coat or paint. The 2 surfaces need to be tigh together, with no chance to fret.
If you really want to seal it, i would be finding a VERY thin product. Wellseal may work.

scudderfish

posted on 16/10/24 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Going slightly off topic, what problem do split rims solve? Why would you choose them over regular wheels?
tegwin

posted on 16/10/24 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Going slightly off topic, what problem do split rims solve? Why would you choose them over regular wheels?

In all honesty, it’s mostly cause it looks cool I suspect.

It does allow you to use different materials and manufacturing processes which could make the wheel lighter or stronger.

If you were experimenting you could also have different offsets and hole patterns too.

Mine were factory fit on a 2001 polo GTI. Heck they have taken some abuse over the years!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.