Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Don't you just hate it...
David Jenkins

posted on 13/10/24 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you just hate it...

The waste in our bathroom basin was misbehaving - we'd push the rod down behind the taps and the plug wouldn't rise. Did some investigation and the bit of metal that pushes the plug up was missing.

Now, you are mechanically minded folk - what metal would you use inside a mechanism that gets wet every so often? Stainless steel, or brass? Nope - plated mild steel, which had eventually rusted through! Worked OK for a few years, then failed.

Fortunately I had a length of stainless steel rod that was almost the right diameter so, with a bit of fettling, it all works properly again.

I hate blatant penny-pinching...

gremlin1234

posted on 13/10/24 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
designed obsolescence :-(
personally, I prefer brass over stainless, but brass does wear and bend a bit more.
I suspect the best metal for this application might be bronze.

adithorp

posted on 14/10/24 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Carbon fibre surely!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

coyoteboy

posted on 14/10/24 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Made to a price.
Irony

posted on 14/10/24 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I had it with taps these days. I simply don't care what they look like any more, I am just sick of replacing them. These days I go and find the most expensive well made tap that is reduced in a sale. Last tap I bought has a 15 year warranty and was 80% off in the sale and still cost me £50. Still going strong 3 years later but I have my doubts.
MikeR

posted on 14/10/24 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Everything is built to a price and the lowest price seems to be the target for everyone.

Currently got building work going on in the field next to our house. They're pile driving. Sat here waiting for the noise to stop and the house to literally stop shaking. I'm certain things are going to fail due to the vibrations, already had a leaking toilet where a plastic part connected to a rigid copper pipe has failed.

nick205

posted on 15/10/24 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I had it with taps these days. I simply don't care what they look like any more, I am just sick of replacing them. These days I go and find the most expensive well made tap that is reduced in a sale. Last tap I bought has a 15 year warranty and was 80% off in the sale and still cost me £50. Still going strong 3 years later but I have my doubts.

Same here - our kitchen mixer tap must is 18 yrs old. IIRC it was something daft like £180 in with the kitchen. In it's lifetime I've had to replace the hot & cold ceramic valves after they started leaking. I've had to fit several new aerators (bit that softens the water flow from the spout). That said, you can get spare parts and take it to bits and repair it. Cheaper taps just work for a limited time, break and go in the bin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.