Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gas hob v electric hob?
number-1

posted on 1/10/24 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
gas hob v electric hob?

A bit of a random question, but, what hobs do you all use? I have only ever used gas but the missus used electric. I am a bit out of date with energy and what is best so thought id ask on here

I presume electric hob only needs 13a whereas the oven needs 32a?

Reason for asking is i am reviving a small kitchen on a smallish budget

Thanks

N1

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/10/24 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
many single electric ovens run on 13A plug. A normal 4 ring hob will need a 32A breaker and 6mm cable.
Slimy38

posted on 1/10/24 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap electric hobs are horrible (in my humble opinion). Gas hobs are the default 'smallish budget' option, but induction hobs are the best.

A bog standard electric oven from somewhere like Curry's actually come with a fitted 13A plug. Electric hobs do need their own fused spur and induction hobs in particular need very high amps.

SteveWalker

posted on 1/10/24 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely an induction hob - the controllability and rate of change of heating of a gas hob, combined with an easily cleanable flat top.
Schrodinger

posted on 2/10/24 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind that for an old codger like me with a Pacemaker in his chest, Induction hobs have to be used with caution as the magnetic field of the hob can wreck the pacemaker, also you need the correct pans fo the hob.

Keith
Aviemore

JMW

posted on 2/10/24 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
Bear in mind that for an old codger like me with a Pacemaker in his chest, Induction hobs have to be used with caution as the magnetic field of the hob can wreck the pacemaker, also you need the correct pans fo the hob.

i.e. magnetic as I understand it. Stainless no good for example. We are just getting a new cooker which has induction hobs so we need to buy a whole new set of pans.

coyoteboy

posted on 2/10/24 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not a fan of induction hobs, they never feel as controllable or as capable as fire and I never find the power varies linearly with the numbers on the dial. But currently have a halogen hob in a rental, and it's the worst thing I've ever used - can't boil a pan because it doesn't stay on 100% even when set to max. It pulses the full output to moderate heat, so stuff just burns, then cools, burns then cools.

Given elec is still 4x gas price per KWh, in a small cheap kitchen I'd go gas.

[Edited on 2/10/2024 by coyoteboy]

nick205

posted on 2/10/24 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Always had electric ovens, typically with a 13A connection.

And a gas hob.

Benefit being you can cook on the hob during an electric power cut.

If re-doing the kitchen, SWMBO might prefer an induction hob. Might be a hassle to get the wiring from consumer unit to kitchen, but I'm sure electrician's have ways.

stevebubs

posted on 2/10/24 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Love our induction hob. However it requires a dedicated 32A supply.

There are induction hobs that will work on 13A plugs but they're limited in power and you lose the ability to get heat into things quickly so (IMO) I'd rather have a gas hob than a limited power induction.

Sylva Fury

stevebubs

posted on 2/10/24 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Just an FYI, I used these when putting my ovens in - made the installation much easier...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/greenbrook-20a-3-way-lever-lighting-connector-with-quick-click-push-fit-terminals/326PG?gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1&g clid=EAIaIQobChMIn7yWl73viAMVTJNQBh26sAxZEAQYAiABEgL5lPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sylva Fury

stevebubs

posted on 2/10/24 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I'm not a fan of induction hobs, they never feel as controllable or as capable as fire and I never find the power varies linearly with the numbers on the dial. But currently have a halogen hob in a rental, and it's the worst thing I've ever used - can't boil a pan because it doesn't stay on 100% even when set to max. It pulses the full output to moderate heat, so stuff just burns, then cools, burns then cools.

Given elec is still 4x gas price per KWh, in a small cheap kitchen I'd go gas.

[Edited on 2/10/2024 by coyoteboy]

My Bosch induction hob is fantastic....real easy to turn up/down. Don't regret it one iota.

Sylva Fury

gremlin1234

posted on 2/10/24 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

most gas hobs plug in the electricity for the ignition spark, during a power cut you have to light it with a match.

gremlin1234

posted on 2/10/24 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
Bear in mind that for an old codger like me with a Pacemaker in his chest, Induction hobs have to be used with caution as the magnetic field of the hob can wreck the pacemaker,

I think it just disables the pacemaker while too close, and not wreck them completely. but yes best avoided

gremlin1234

posted on 2/10/24 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
There are induction hobs that will work on 13A plugs but they're limited in power .

limited to total 3kw, so for a twin hob 1x2kw, + 1x1kw. or just a single 3kw hob

nick205

posted on 2/10/24 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:

most gas hobs plug in the electricity for the ignition spark, during a power cut you have to light it with a match.

Agreed, our gas hobs have electric sparks to get them going, but a match does just as well.

adam1985

posted on 2/10/24 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Had a induction hob for a few years now and it’s brilliant, only thing I don’t like about it is the touch controls they can be a little temperamental especially if they are damp from cleaning the hob
SteveWalker

posted on 2/10/24 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:

Agreed, our gas hobs have electric sparks to get them going, but a match does just as well.

Some need electricity for flame failure detection, to cut-off the gas if you turn it too low and it gets blown out. Without power, you cannot light them at all.

JoelP

posted on 2/10/24 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add, some new induction hobs can be programmed to not use more than 13a. Most of the time you won't notice the difference, it just alternates which ones are active. I personally use an old electric hob, took it out of someone's kitchen 7 years ago and put it in mine. Still works mint!
russbost

posted on 3/10/24 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
We have an induction hob & yes, they are great. However in terms of cost a gas hob has to be way cheaper, no "specific" pans, uses slightly more kW power, but at around 7p a unit rather than around 4 times that. As long as you have gas already there, then far cheaper to install & they require virtually no maintenance & last forever!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
number-1

posted on 8/10/24 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies. Some very interesting points raised.

I ended up going for a gas hob for ease as there is already gas behind the unit.

Thanks

N1

nick205

posted on 11/10/24 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1
Thanks for all the replies. Some very interesting points raised.

I ended up going for a gas hob for ease as there is already gas behind the unit.

Thanks

N1

That was a big deciding factor for me was ease of install (still have to get a Gas Safe person, but the gas is there) and cost.

I've fitted my own kitchens around working and got people in to do the bits I can't (Gas Safe).

SteveWalker

posted on 12/10/24 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Oddly enough, for some electrical work, you have to have a qualified electrician do it or have it inspected by Building Control, but for gas work on your own house, you can do it yourself, as long as you are "competent" (the legislation uses that word and does not refer to any qualifications, experience or registers) - presumably if it blows up, you weren't competent! Gas Safe is actually only relevant for paid work, although they try to convince everyone otherwise, as Corgi did before.

Personally, I trust myself more than the "professionals" - having found a leak in the supply side of the pipework at my parents' house, after four visits by professionals failed to find any problem and having had a meter installed when I moved in and the system leak tested and declared okay, when the pipe to the boiler had a loose blanking cap sat on the end and was in no way gas-tight.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.