New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto bhp
lee

posted on 31/1/08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
engine

Sorry forgot to mention.
Original engine had a MASSIVE 55bhp
present engine (1500 spitfire) about 71bhp
so going to a pinto 2L at about 100bhp would be a huge hike in power, couple that to a type9 5 speed, and the result should be more than "adequate"

[Edited on 31/1/08 by lee]

britishtrident

posted on 31/1/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
2 litre Pinto engine and box is an awful lot heavier than the Triumph ones.

The Pinto was a dog when it came out in 1970. It had such a bad reputation than in 1975 when it was put in the Transit in place of the awful Essex V4 a lot of fleet managers put pressure on Ford to put the 1600 Xflo in the Transit 75 instead.

If you are concerened about braking the massive weight of a Pinto & type 9 isn't a good move.

The only real fault the Triumph 1500 engine has is a tendancy to big endbearing wear.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

NS Dev

posted on 31/1/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Silk purse from a rotting sow's ear.

Ooooh you bitch
Some people rebuild old cars rather than buying a cheaper faster new one - there is just something about the old stuff.

Cant argue with the 16V comments, we live and learn eh!!

Mcerd1 - oil pump drive and VR bracket arent as bad as they sound to sort out. Le me know if i can be of any assistance when the time comes to fabricate the bits. Ive had less success with throttle position sensor so if your carbs have one built in you are onto a winner.

Edit to ad - yes bhp at wheels.

[Edited on 31/1/08 by DarrenW]

I agree Darren.

Though we all know that the pinto isn't the best lump in the world, go to most club race meetings and you'll still see one or two doing the business.

yep there are all sorts of design faults, but then there are with most engines, otherwise race engine builders wouldn't have anything to do!!

The K series is hardly fault free now is it!! Yes its light, has a nice ladder bottom end, but then has a rather poor liner location and design (apparently, I personally know nowt about them).

As a learning device, the pinto is a great start. it responds to logical tuning approach, not billy bolt on bits, its is simple enough to not need silly tools to work on.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 31/1/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
PS our old road rally sierra with a fairly basically tuned pinto 2.0, could push 0-60 in under 8 secs (quicker than my 2.9i xr4x4) was totally reliable, fairly economical on either 38dgas or 32-36dgas carb, total engine budget was under £290 and the car was a hoot!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

mcerd1

posted on 31/1/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a a dimensioned drawing of a std. 1.8 zetec that I can e-mail you (to your hotmail account once I find it)

quote:
Cant argue with the 16V comments, we live and learn eh!!

If space is an issue, and you want it light.....

...what about a 1600 X-flow or even a 1.6 Zetec SE, its all alloy and a bit smaller than the 1.8 / 2.0, but I cant give you exact sizes
[you though I was going to say 'bike engine' didn't you ]

quote:
Mcerd1 - oil pump drive and VR bracket arent as bad as they sound to sort out. Le me know if i can be of any assistance when the time comes to fabricate the bits. Ive had less success with throttle position sensor so if your carbs have one built in you are onto a winner.

I think all the ZX9R's have TPS's

as for the rest, I'll start a new thread once I've done some measuring - I'll need all the advice I can get

I should add to the above - that if anyone is mad enough (like me) to use cossie con rods in a pinto - not only do you need to top the pistons but you also need to sort out some kind of oil spray jets onto the u/s of the pistons (cossie rods don't have jets like pinto ones) the cossie 2wd oil pump (well the cover bit anyway, which dosen't come with most pumps) and spraybar are ideal but hard to find complete 2nd hand (and £200 for new )

[Edited on 31/1/08 by mcerd1]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.