Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Does my bum look big in this?
RazMan

posted on 18/5/07 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by MikeR
i think just a flat black carbon look-a-like sheet would do the business.

My concerns would be it becoming a water and stone trap. Perhaps leave a 1" gap between it and the lowest chassis rail it meets. Should allow the rubbish to drop out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A very good point - you should see how much gravel I've collected in the front section I'll put in a couple of exit slots to let everything drain out.

quote:
Originally posted by jonno
How about bring the grp lower on the wheel ? or is that too much work ?. I'm going to put some lower 'fins' on my rear as well
I am actually thinking on similar lines - I have noticed a lot of spray when driving on wet roads, so a kind of spat (as in your pic) built in would be nice. See pic below

quote:
Originally posted by ruskino80
like it a lot-but why not paint all the visible metal black so your eye is not drawn to it so much?
Now that's just cheating I chose powder coated silver for the chassis so painting over it would not be much fun.

Here's my latest offering which has slightly lower fins , is wider and with more 'spat'. I've also removed part of the centre spar

Jeeez how am I going to make this?

[Edited on 18-5-07 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Aeon diffuser idea2.jpg
Rescued attachment Aeon diffuser idea2.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 19/5/07 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
That makes the back look so much more 'finished', you should definitely do this.
worX

posted on 19/5/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Raz,

this is the book that was been lent by a racer friend of mine, as I intend to build a diffuser for mine (when I recover some money from actually building it!)

If you are interested in some of the changes that it would suggest you make from both of your after pictures, then please U2U me and I will describe in as much detail as I remember those changes !

cheers,
Steve

RazMan

posted on 21/5/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have now done a scale drawing of my diffuser - quite a simple thing really.
Have I made any howlers?

The smaller end ribs are more for strength tyhan anything else.

[Edited on 21-5-07 by RazMan] Rescued attachment diffuser drawing.jpg
Rescued attachment diffuser drawing.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 21/5/07 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
the end view and the bottom view don't correlate - from the end view the fins (outermost) look like they run perpendicular (?) to the car ie down the length of the car (this is how I would have it). but the bottom view would suggest that they are running at an angle (fine-ish) but in a straight line rather than curving outward (preferred) to maximise disruption in airflow After the car...

don't mean to offend - I am trying to recall the info I gleamed from the books I've read recently as accurately as I can!!

Steve

RazMan

posted on 21/5/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oops! You spotted my deliberate mistake
I have also added the mesh panel for clarity - it is going to be fixed to avoid hinging problems. Rescued attachment diffuser drawing.jpg
Rescued attachment diffuser drawing.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

worX

posted on 21/5/07 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi again Raz!

In spite of your "delberate mistake" - I still maintain that the Much More efficient layout of the fins would be to probably have 6 in total.

inner two: would be doing the channelling of the airflow, which starts at the front of the car, through to the slope of the diffuser, and therefore creating the most efficient tunnelling effect.

next two: would be curved outward to make the most of whats sometimes called dirty air - a forced creation of vortices making inefficient air AFTER the wake of the car therefore increasing the downforce by increasing the speed of the air underneath the car AND the upward rush of the air at the back.

outer two: would be specifically acting as "Skirts" like a Formula 1 car. This prevents the ingress of dirty air from the side of the car entering and disrupting all the good/efficient work that your flat bottomed floor and diffuser are actually doing.

The creation and efficient working of the outer two would require a change in shape of your design. Compare the shape of yours - a fan shape (sort of) and the shape of that Westfield "plywood " special that you emailed me earlier - a rectangle shape.

hope this makes sense!!!

Steve

gttman

posted on 22/5/07 at 03:15 AM Reply With Quote
hmmm I think you are on the right lines but it is drawing my eye to the grill below the number plate, and it sort of looks like the new Audi front ie that its got a beard.

definatelly on the right lines though, have you tried the colour change to black to see the impact?

RazMan

posted on 22/5/07 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Now that you mention it, I can see what you mean about the beard I have made a couple of mods to the grille which allows me to simplify the exhaust (for when I fit the turbo) I first tried it with a single large bore exhaust but swmbo said it looked like a cat's bum so I went with the twin tailpipe!

I can't really change the grille colour at this stage as it would contradict the rest of the (very expensive) stainless mesh elswhere on the car

quote:
Originally posted by gttman
hmmm I think you are on the right lines but it is drawing my eye to the grill below the number plate, and it sort of looks like the new Audi front ie that its got a beard.

definatelly on the right lines though, have you tried the colour change to black to see the impact?

[Edited on 22-5-07 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Aeon diffuser idea3.jpg
Rescued attachment Aeon diffuser idea3.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 22/5/07 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX

In spite of your "delberate mistake" - I still maintain that the Much More efficient layout of the fins would be to probably have 6 in total.

inner two: would be doing the channelling of the airflow, which starts at the front of the car, through to the slope of the diffuser, and therefore creating the most efficient tunnelling effect.

next two: would be curved outward to make the most of whats sometimes called dirty air - a forced creation of vortices making inefficient air AFTER the wake of the car therefore increasing the downforce by increasing the speed of the air underneath the car AND the upward rush of the air at the back.

outer two: would be specifically acting as "Skirts" like a Formula 1 car. This prevents the ingress of dirty air from the side of the car entering and disrupting all the good/efficient work that your flat bottomed floor and diffuser are actually doing.

The creation and efficient working of the outer two would require a change in shape of your design. Compare the shape of yours - a fan shape (sort of) and the shape of that Westfield "plywood " special that you emailed me earlier - a rectangle shape.

hope this makes sense!!!

Steve

It all makes perfect sense but I am quite limited by space and fabbing skills. Making curved alloy fins will be quite a mission for me and I am not really that concerned about the extra ground effect that this diffuser will give the car. As I said in my original post, it is primarily a road car and I wanted to make this partly cosmetic with a nod to functionality.

Cheers,
Raz

DarrenW

posted on 22/5/07 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Yes yes yes.... go for it. All o fthe ideas look great. Love the mesh and the twin tail pipes. Certainly finishes of an already superb car very well indeed.

MikeRJ

posted on 22/5/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
How about painting the mesh body colour? That way it won't clash with the stainless mesh and removes the beard? I photoshopped the wrong image, but you get the idea:

flak monkey

posted on 22/5/07 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looks miles better with silver mesh IMO.

Car design by committee, don't you love it?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Tralfaz

posted on 22/5/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

Agreed.

gttman

posted on 22/5/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tralfaz
quote:

Agreed.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

gttman

posted on 22/5/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tralfaz
quote:

Agreed.

I also agree..... what I was meaning is colour change the difuser.

Your last one looks much better, the beard is gone... but I would still like to see what the difuser looks like black.

[Edited on 22/5/07 by gttman]

Andygtt

RazMan

posted on 22/5/07 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gttman
... but I would still like to see what the difuser looks like black.

Unfortunately I can't get the detail very visible in black Rescued attachment Aeon diffuser idea4.jpg
Rescued attachment Aeon diffuser idea4.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

gttman

posted on 23/5/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I like that, I'd make it and paint it black.... if it doesn't look right you can always colour code it later...

Andygtt

RazMan

posted on 30/5/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ok then, I have now made a very rough prototype from plywood (a la Westfield ) Rescued attachment Diffuser Prototype 1.jpg
Rescued attachment Diffuser Prototype 1.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 30/5/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
And another view...

I have already decided that the radius on the rear edge of the fins needs to be increased as it looks too square.

What do you think guys?

[Edited on 30-5-07 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Diffuser Prototype 4.jpg
Rescued attachment Diffuser Prototype 4.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

David Jenkins

posted on 31/5/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
That looks great... slap a bit of Hammerite on it and it'll be just fine!

Seriously though, it's a good shape.

chriscook

posted on 31/5/07 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Can you make the change in angle between the sections any less? I think this would make it more effective aerodynamically from what I remember.

I know your main reasons are aesthetic but if you can make it work at the same time then why not?

RazMan

posted on 31/5/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chriscook
Can you make the change in angle between the sections any less? I think this would make it more effective aerodynamically from what I remember.

I know your main reasons are aesthetic but if you can make it work at the same time then why not?

I'm not sure I know what you mean Chris - The angle of the fins?

Cheers,
Raz

chriscook

posted on 31/5/07 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
The angle the 'horizontal' bits make to the floor - ie make it smoother and less staircase like

does that make sense?

Fred W B

posted on 31/5/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe it needs to be a bit more aggressive, like this - From the GD website

Cheers

Fred WB

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.