Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: running a diff backwards?
NS Dev

posted on 13/12/05 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Heh heh!!!
froggy

posted on 13/12/05 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
latest update : hillrally cars have used 7" diffs in the front and dmw diffs too .no major probs and not especially noisy, apparently they run them upside down so that the pinion pushes the coast face of the crown wheel. i may have to look at some kind of internal baffle to stop the pinion running dry !
colintvr

posted on 7/1/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
You could call Kevin Mason at Kam Diffs: 01483419779. They make crown wheels and pinions and would surely know.
Colin

madman280

posted on 14/1/06 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
The front diff on the Fords I work on everyday are designed to run "backwards so to say. The ring and pinion gear teeth are cut differently then a normal rear diff. They are termed revese rotation R&P's in most catalogs. Hypoid gears are designed to run with the nomal drive load on the convex side of the gear teeth. The diff case is also shaped in such a way that the oil is splashed up to the pinion bearings and then drains down. A rear diff can work running backwards but pinion bearing life is usually very short and starts to get noisey quite quickly. I've seen a few reverse rotation engines raced on the stock car dirt tracks around here. It does work, but its not ideal and requires constant attention.
wment

posted on 15/1/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Running differential gears in the reverse rotation puts forward accelleration on the coast side of the gear tooth. The coast side is the angled side and transmitts alot of the force toward the sides rather than stright back on the ring gear. I have reversed a chevy corvair transaxle to allow for a mid engine application. It works but reduces the torque the unit can handle. I have a pic of a diff that was pushed apart from too much torque applied to the coast side of the gears in reverse rotation, I will try to attach it.. Also running the gears backwards interfears with proper lubrication.

[Edited on 1/15/2006 by wment]

[Edited on 1/15/2006 by wment] Rescued attachment DiffCracksTop.04.jpeg
Rescued attachment DiffCracksTop.04.jpeg

froggy

posted on 15/1/06 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
il close this one now , the whole thing was my fault as i never thought to check the rotation of the props and although the rear turns clockwise the front doesnt so thats why ive had to get a front diff etc. bit silly really as i managed to do the bellhousing conversion without any probs
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.