Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alfa V6
owelly

posted on 8/10/05 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
If the mainshaft is not bang-on in-line, the 'box will want to jump out of gear. And don't forget, the spigot bearing is only turning when you have the clutch pressed.
Like Trev Borg said, if you need any dimentions, piccies, solutions etc, feel free to get in touch.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 8/10/05 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
If the first motion shaft is not cental with the bell housing/spigot bearing the first thing likely to break is the clutch center plate. Found out the hard way one winters night a few years ago when the car I was driving broke down. No signs of jumping out of gear or noises . later found out the bell housing had cracked due to severe clutch judder, bell housing had been welded but not aligned.Hope ypu get it sorted, lovely engine when running nice.
Liam

posted on 8/10/05 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
did it get into the back of the fiat? Any pics? What was it used for? We did a similar thing with a Nova for rallying, but not a v6!

It's like the 164 subframe was designed to fit in a cinquecento!! The front member of the subframe butts right up to a structural member in the cinq floor, and the back of the 164 frame just fits inside the rear bumper of the cinq. 164 struts just fit inside the cinq bodywork, just underneath the rear windows. Wheel arches will need to be about 6" wider each side!

Being built as a super cheap track beast, but project cinq is on hold as my mate is in new zealand. Subframe is mounted in the cinq and waiting for some tubular structure to be added (as there is no structure at all in the back of a cinq!) This rear structure will flow into a full cage.

Unfortunately not got any decent pics. I might need my engine crane soon for the locost so i'll pop down the cinq garage and get it and take some photos.

Liam

Afraid this is the best pic i've got at the mo!! Rescued attachment 2005_0123_160116AA.JPG
Rescued attachment 2005_0123_160116AA.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 9/10/05 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
did it get into the back of the fiat? Any pics? What was it used for? We did a similar thing with a Nova for rallying, but not a v6!

It's like the 164 subframe was designed to fit in a cinquecento!! The front member of the subframe butts right up to a structural member in the cinq floor, and the back of the 164 frame just fits inside the rear bumper of the cinq. 164 struts just fit inside the cinq bodywork, just underneath the rear windows. Wheel arches will need to be about 6" wider each side!

Being built as a super cheap track beast, but project cinq is on hold as my mate is in new zealand. Subframe is mounted in the cinq and waiting for some tubular structure to be added (as there is no structure at all in the back of a cinq!) This rear structure will flow into a full cage.

Unfortunately not got any decent pics. I might need my engine crane soon for the locost so i'll pop down the cinq garage and get it and take some photos.

Liam

Afraid this is the best pic i've got at the mo!!

heh heh!!!!

Now that's what I call a proper budget project!!!

Giving me ideas now!!

G.Man

posted on 10/10/05 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnmor
Both the GTV and the 75 and 155 had the clutch and the gearbox in the rear transaxle, provided better balance but only a prop shaft ran from the engine.

There are only a few Alfas with traditional rear wheel drive system.

Spider (65-93)
Alfa 6
Giulia
Bertone and
Berlina

Almost all are pre 80s

Home engineering looks the only way!!!

Yup knew about that, thought it would still be possible with some "adjustment" to the rear diff mounting area...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

owelly

posted on 10/10/05 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote

Job done!!

Johnmor

posted on 10/10/05 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
WELL DONE

looks good, very neat for the tranmission tunnell.
Can you run the engine on the bench or will you wait untill it in the car?

G.Man

posted on 11/10/05 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Nice

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Trev Borg

posted on 11/10/05 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know about nice!!!!!!

It looks like you bolted the gearbox to the engine with an old biscuit tin.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

owelly

posted on 11/10/05 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have built a stand to bench run the engine but as I am still waiting for an exclusive, hand crafted, one-off, special tuning wiring loom, the engine/'box has found its way into the car. i just need to cobble some engine mounts, extend the reversed air plenum runners and wait for the loom........

owelly

posted on 11/10/05 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
And reinforce the biccy tin with Muller Fruit Corner tubs.

Trev Borg

posted on 12/10/05 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Ok

point taken

I will have the loom at house by tonight hopefully. All labled up to avoid colour blind freaks getting them wrong

And the engine crane if i can arsed

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

owelly

posted on 12/10/05 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I was expecting a wiring loom and an engine crane but someone has dumped some scrap and a pile of wires in my yard!!!( Cheers matey)
I might even have a run out of it before too long ('Lil legs permitting!)

owelly

posted on 15/1/06 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
And it does run!!!

locost_bryan

posted on 16/1/06 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have the dimensions and weight of the Alfa V6?

1) Length from pulley to flywheel
2) Width
3) Height sump to highest point
4) Height bottom of block to highest point
5) Weight as removed from donor

Anything that pokes outside these dimensions? Headrers? Dizzy?

Can add to my list for reference - not many Alfas sold down here, but useful to compare to the Jap alloy V6's (Mitsi FTO, Mazda MX6, etc)

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

Johnmor

posted on 16/1/06 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Search for thread "V6 dimensions"

The sump very much depends on the car that it is removed from. Rear wheel drive sump is not as deep as front wheel drive versions.

How is Auckland, worked at the building of the TVNZ HQ near Nelson St in1988, had a bal.!!

locost_bryan

posted on 17/1/06 at 02:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
How is Auckland, worked at the building of the TVNZ HQ near Nelson St in1988, had a bal.!!

Lovely sunny day today - about 26C - great day for getting out in a Locost!

Auckland's got bigger, taller, more congested in the last 17 years. Big upgrades to the waterfront since the Americas Cup, thousands more apartments, more restaurants and bars and nightclubs, better public transport, lots of motorway building right now.

Check out http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/ for the latest....

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

locost_bryan

posted on 17/1/06 at 02:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Search for thread "V6 dimensions"

Thanks.

Alfa V6 540/640/710 w/h/l (610w incl headers)
Mazda KL V6 2.5 200bhp 675/640/620

... so the Mazda's shorter but wider.

Hard to compare weights :-
Alfa 138kg "short" motor excluding manifolds and ancillaries
Mazda 176kg "long" motor including manifolds and ancillaries

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Johnmor

posted on 17/1/06 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Alfa V6

The Alfa is a 60 degree V6 , most are 90, so that makes it a little taller and less wide, but the stoke is vey short which means it revs well(24v goes to 7300 easy). I would think an Alfa v6 would be a rare comodity in NZ, i know things have changed but when I was there you would have needed a mortgage for a car like that.
Over here they get thrown away. the big problem is attaching a gearbox, the only option realy is to fabricate some form of conversion plate and use a FWD bellhousing. Or make your own Bellhousing.

Post some pics of the sunmmer weather and your car to cheer us all up.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.