Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: V8 Engined
ned

posted on 12/8/05 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
don't ask where i got this pic from, as i can't remember, think the car might be from Oz though.. Rescued attachment ml_engine_bay_sept03.jpg
Rescued attachment ml_engine_bay_sept03.jpg

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
miserableoldgit

posted on 12/8/05 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
V8 Engined

Ooooh I can feel the MIG torch in my hand as we speak! That looks just the ticket.

Many thanks to all, Vince and Ned especially. I will post results following completion.

Vrrrum Vrrrum!!!!!!!!

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young

Bigfoot

posted on 18/8/05 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Remember that the amount of torque available is proportional to how hard you lean on the right hand pedal no matter what revs you are at.

The idea is to apply sufficient power to achieve maximum acceleration without breaking traction throughout the rev range and road speed, (its called driving).

If you just want to jump on the pedal in every gear without regard for what is happening, to the car, probably best to stick with a little bike engine.

I'm with the miserableoldgit on this one.

ned

posted on 18/8/05 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot
Remember that the amount of torque available is proportional to how hard you lean on the right hand pedal no matter what revs you are at.

what a strange car you must drive, are you disabled? i use the right foot pedal myself

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 18/8/05 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot

The idea is to apply sufficient power to achieve maximum acceleration without breaking traction throughout the rev range and road speed, (its called driving).

If you just want to jump on the pedal in every gear without regard for what is happening, to the car, probably best to stick with a little bike engine.

I'm with the miserableoldgit on this one.

Of course, and driving is great, but unuseable torque is rather like a chocolate fireguard, except that it doesn't taste as nice

NS Dev

posted on 18/8/05 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sticking with the boring old 205hp/165 lbft that my vauxhall engine will supply

I'd like a nice V8, but that's going into something mid-engined that only uses tarmac for parking on

quadra

posted on 18/8/05 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Or of course you could go for the 4wd option.
NS Dev

posted on 19/8/05 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
now that does move the goalposts somewhat
MikeR

posted on 19/8/05 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
but if you release the chain the goal posts will stay in the field and you'll go shooting off around the track!

(its not that cryptic a response in my mind)

Bigfoot

posted on 19/8/05 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Yes Ned you are quite right, Ive never been quite the same since I moved over to this side of the planet. They talk different here too.
Bigfoot

posted on 19/8/05 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I did not choose the RV8 for performance reasons (obviously).

One of my cars is a 92 Tickford built Ford XR8, with injected 302 V8 (5 litre), which makes the Rover look a bit tame and I have built a number of largish Chevy engines for various projects, so I am well aware of the Rover's limitations.

It's just that the Rover was light enough for a locost, it was available and it had the right number of cylinders (for me).

We don't get a lot of the engines here that you have. The Vauxhall sounds great, but there is no way I could get my hands on one. Most of the suitable donors here are Japanese and while there is some good stuff about, they aren't my style.

I don't think it matters what you build really, it's all just for fun.

NS Dev

posted on 19/8/05 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Why oh why did ford not sell the XR8 in the uk??

I would LOVE to have one of those!

Simon

posted on 19/8/05 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Why oh why did ford not sell the XR8 in the uk??

I would LOVE to have one of those!

I believe the XR8 was also available in south africa (though unsure of the tickford connection.

BTT,

I'm using R V8 cos I like it, virtually maintenance free, abundantly tunable, sounds awesome, slightly more common than the proverbial rocking horse dooda so spares reasonably cheap, and available from wide range of suppliers, and of course - it was made in the UK (yes buick may have designed it, but that was 45 years ago - evolved slightly since.)

Oh yeah, like my bikes, it's gonna be nice and lazy (once I get the 3.38 diff

ATB

Simon

Bigfoot

posted on 19/8/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Its not a 92, its a 2002, I must stop writing mail at midnight.

On the XR8 Tickford change the rear suspension to a fully independant setup, they put wishbones on the front and use much bigger brakes. The engine is blueprinted and signed (engraved) by the engineer for authenticity.

Mine has bigger mags, leather and all the xtras, so its comfortable, handles well for a big car and eats tyres on demand.

I don't have a picture of mine, so Ive tried to attached one in full flight. Rescued attachment au_small.jpg
Rescued attachment au_small.jpg

miserableoldgit

posted on 19/8/05 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
V8 Engined

One reason I told SWMBO was that I wanted to go "greener" and change the old Xflow for something that ran on unleaded.

I'm still limping from that one

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young

Simon

posted on 19/8/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
And here was me thinking you were talking about a Ford Sierra

ATB

Simon

Bigfoot

posted on 20/8/05 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry Simon,
We didn't get any V8 Sierra's here that I know of. We did get the Cosworth 4x4 version which was a useful bit of kit.

Our XR8 is an uprated version of the Australian Falcon. It is also available as an XR6 with a 4L inline six, a turbo is optional now too.

The one's like mine are used in the saloon car championship class in NZ and Australia. (there is a newer model out now). There is a further development of the car used for what we call the V8 Supercar series, these have twice the power that mine has. Competion in all classes (road & track) comes in the form of the Holden Commodore, which is sort of like the UK Vauxhall Monaro with four doors. Us Ford blokes have deeper voices of course.

Sorry it's got a bit off topic, for road driving I still prefer a bigger engine. I'd consider a BEC for track use if it was real light.

Cheers
Gerry

kb58

posted on 20/8/05 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Well if people cram 500hp and 500ft-lb of torque into a 2500lb Cobra and say it's enough, I say 250hp and 250ish ft-lb of torque in a 1200lb car is plenty. A modern V6 will do that.

That said, you still won't have the "sound" and, at least around here, it's hard to argue with the price/hp factor of a V8.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.