Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear suspension idea
sgraber

posted on 23/12/04 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Well I just confirmed my suspicions. I am totally stupid and not worthy to participate in this conversation! LOL (really!) I had your design turned sideways with the single triangulated link being the lateral and the dual links facing forwards. And I couldn't figure out why you wanted so much anti-squat!!!!

As soon as you mentioned Locost front, it all came into focus...

I'll get my coat.

Graber

PS- It's not THAT different than what you already have built...

[Edited on 12/23/04 by sgraber]

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 23/12/04 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber

PS- It's not THAT different than what you already have built...

Exactly, so it won't need much in the way of frame mods....but it will allow me to get rid of the Toyota hub and fabricate a hub/trailing arm in one piece...using the one piece hub assemblies that are just a bolt on job....and save a bunch of links and rod ends.

I just measured the toe change...from level to around 3" bump its about 0.015"...less than 0.5mm

It will need engineering for the optimum geometry, but I think it's a go.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tadltd

posted on 23/12/04 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

Which way does the toe 'change' in bump?

From what I can picture (and I may be as wrong as Mr. Graber here - but then I would be in good company!) this set-up will give toe-out in acceleration, and toe-in during braking, which I believe is what you want...

...to a certain degree.

Also, are you running without ARB's? Is this why you have so much camber control?

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

Alan B

posted on 23/12/04 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, as drawn so far the it toes in by around 0.06 degrees.....

The positions of the links and chassis pick ups are a pure guess as shown so far....the goemetry is probably miles out as is now.

I have given no though to ARBs at this stage.

Aloupol

posted on 23/12/04 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
I had your design turned sideways with the single triangulated link being the lateral and the dual links facing forwards.

I did exactly the same confusion, so there's more than one stupid.

Now put in the right side I understand, it seems OK..

There is still a lot of anti squat since the motor (or braking) torque tends to turn the trailing arm and to extend (or compress) the spring when accelerating (or braking) but it's not a problem, a lot of cars have good behaviour with simple trailing arms.

Another issue could be the bending of the trailing arm under cornering force. The Lotus member seems huge, probably for that reason...

[Edited on 23/12/04 by Aloupol]

kb58

posted on 23/12/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tadltd
... this set-up will give toe-out in acceleration, and toe-in during braking, which I believe is what you want...

...to a certain degree.

I though the holy grail was slight toe-in whenever the suspension moves away from its rest position. AFAIK you never want toe out. Toe-out under braking would make the rear end squirrely (sp?) OTOH I agree it's all by degree, that a "little" toe is okay, whatever that means... I'll sit down now.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

kb58

posted on 23/12/04 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aloupol

Another issue could be the bending of the trailing arm under cornering force. The Lotus member seems huge, probably for that reason...

[Edited on 23/12/04 by Aloupol]

I don't think it's possible to bend the trailing links. There's a pivot at one end, and the other end is free to move up and down (the axle) The only way it can bend is if one end tries to move and the other end is fixed.... neither are.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

Aloupol

posted on 23/12/04 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
... Or if there's an important torque or load (there are both actually) between the supported nodes.
tadltd

posted on 24/12/04 at 02:00 AM Reply With Quote
Usually, when cars with unequal length wishbones are set-up, there is slight toe-in on the rear which is compensated for during acceleration, when the wheels want to toe-out (i.e. they'll tend towards being parallel to each other rather than have an obvious toe-out condition).

On the front it's usually the opposite (slight toe-out) for the opposite situation, i.e. it tends towards toe-in under braking for stability. Which is a good thing on the rear, too!

But then this is for a conventional unequal length double wishbone arrangement, which is not what Alan has... :s But it seems like that arrangement will give the correct suspension 'behaviour' for stability.

Anyway, that's enough for this side of Christmas - have a good one, everyone! Hope Santa's good to you!!

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

locost_bryan

posted on 24/12/04 at 03:27 AM Reply With Quote
Alan,

I keep thinking of the "traditional" arrangment single-seaters had in the seventies - upper and lower lateral links (like yours) and twin semi-trailing radius arms, effectively giving 2 very wide-based wishbones.

I presume you space limitations would prohibit that design (and it's requirement for 8 joints per side!

Your design seems similar to the Nissan 300Z IIRC

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

Ratman

posted on 24/12/04 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Bryan.. I think it is classically 9 or 10 joints per side. You need at least one more to stop it steering. It certainly is a lot of joints. Brian (in Wellywood)
JoelP

posted on 24/12/04 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
hey guys. this set up is very similar to a set up posted recently - IIRC, it was in an archive down a link i had followed from a new builder. The only difference was that the lower bone had two joints at the hub end, to prevent steering. This is much like the underneath view photo posted further up the thread.

in the scheme proposed by alan, i think that it would be hard to keep the wheel facing forward - what actually would stop it steering?

when i saw the photo before (maybe 3 weeks ago, before i got cut off... ) i was impressed and remembered it. I also posted in the thread a few comments about it. I will try to dig it out, if my memory serves well!

[Edited on 24/12/04 by JoelP]

JoelP

posted on 24/12/04 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
here we go...

this is from 7/12/04, on the locost gt40 thread. ross is the chaps name, you can work out his website from the link above!

JoelP

posted on 24/12/04 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
note that the bit that goes forward (technical term) is split in two, to avoid the hub pivoting forward (maybe the cause of the earlier comments about the setup locking up?)

Alan B

posted on 24/12/04 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
- what actually would stop it steering?

The fact that the trailing arm and hub carrier are one solid piece....

JoelP

posted on 24/12/04 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
there is that, i suppose...

cymtriks

posted on 16/1/05 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
toe out is supposed to be a no-no on a rear middy suspension. BMW get around this by having a squashy front bush and hard lateral link bushes so that twhen a side load is present the front of the trailing arm toes in thus undoing the links natural geometry. Lotus get around the problem by having very long trailing links which minimise the problem.

How about sneeking a look under the Elise? The Elise has double wishbones of a conventional layout and they manage to get them round a transverse engine.

JC

posted on 23/1/05 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
How about this? (Lotus Elise rear suspension).
Thought: The 'classic' Mini front suspension strongly resembles Alans design, except with a tie bar instead of trailing link and I remember few complaints about the Mini's handling!

[Edited on 23/1/05 by JC] Rescued attachment rearsuspension.jpg
Rescued attachment rearsuspension.jpg

bpaar

posted on 27/11/05 at 03:01 AM Reply With Quote
Toe In?

Can someone explain to me how there is toe in in this design?
From what I see, there is toe out with both rebound and compression (assumming the bottom control arm is level at rest). Any movement will shorten the bottom control link giving toe out, the top link will twist the assembly and control camber. The amount of change is neglible with long arms, I am just trying to understand the motion. What am I missing?

Bill

Stephant

posted on 30/11/05 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
toe

Hi
I guess in rear view the wishbone and the
balljoints are at one hight,so no toe changes at moving.The effect may be,that the toe link is stiff (balljoints ) and the wishbone has rubber bushes.At cornering the wishbone get's "shortened" through the bushes and the toe link doesn't.Toe in is the result,depending on loads.
Best regards,Stephan

u401768

posted on 1/12/05 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
OK - to throw a bit more in to the pot - Why not use two wide based trailing links, and ditch the lateral link - ie GTM Libra method - is easy to package, puts the loads in to the tub, and means you can get the spring/coil over damper to lead straigh in to the tub too.
Alan B

posted on 1/12/05 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by u401768
OK - to throw a bit more in to the pot - Why not use two wide based trailing links, and ditch the lateral link - ie GTM Libra method - is easy to package, puts the loads in to the tub, and means you can get the spring/coil over damper to lead straigh in to the tub too.

How does that handle camber?...Surely there is no camber change with that set up?

iank

posted on 1/12/05 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B

How does that handle camber?...Surely there is no camber change with that set up?

No there isn't, though camber can be set statically.

Works well on the mini and GTM , and the onyx firefox/clubsport use them and are reputed to handle well.

u401768

posted on 1/12/05 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Plus has excelent load transfer cherecteristics too - but the down sid is there is no camber change, but this should'nt be too much off an issue.
Stephant

posted on 1/12/05 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
low wight transfer means low roll centre too.With tailing arm suspension it is exactly at the ground,which is ok with a 7 type car.A full bodied car with screens etc. should have it slightly higher.For getting Camber changes ,the swing axle of the upper upper tailing arm could have a different angle.
Stephan

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.