Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: digital dash
Northy

posted on 9/12/04 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Please keep me informed of any updates to the situation, and if you need any help as I'm an electronic engineer.

Do you need any help on the BOM, or me to try a get a few "free" samples?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 9/12/04 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
'ello 'ello. free samples you say... been raiding the "engines part store" at work of bits, seem full iof electonic wizardary. will be working on the BOM some more over weekend/monday, hope full list by midweek.
sure betweenan electrical and mechanical engineer we can get this up and running. progress here as it happens. stay tuned.

Northy

posted on 9/12/04 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be able to get hold of free samples of some parts, distributors will do almost anything to keep you sweet!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PioneerX

posted on 10/12/04 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Northys right, the Main chip (approx £5-£6) PIC16F877 can be got from microchips website as free samples, they allow 3 of any product and up to five products per order and 2 order every 40 days. Just fill in the form and you have them about 5 days later (I get all mine this way). Ordered almost £50 woth last time I put a sample order in. I guess other manfactuers do this, but this is the only one I know with a Web ordering service.
Northy

posted on 10/12/04 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've got some PIC16F877's at home that I ordered as samples. I'll order some more this afternoon!

We use many distributors at work, and they'll send us samples of the devices they distribute. All I've got to do is ask. Probably only worth it for the expensive IC's.

Cheers

Graham

wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 10/12/04 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
northy, any chance of getting your hands on some lcd displays? website link given (.co.uk - dont link from site) cant find product. apart from that, easy sailing really
1/2 way through bom so far, maplin mainly, but also getting rs no's.

Deckman001

posted on 10/12/04 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
We found loads of the LCD displays on E-Bay, most from the states, but with the exchange rate as it is they are very cheap,less than £10

Jason

sgraber

posted on 31/1/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Bump

Hey guys, any news to report?

I am hot and heavy on dashes right now!

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Deckman001

posted on 31/1/05 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi steve, news is getting better, just need a bit more from the testers then we will be in business so to say

Jason

madman280

posted on 5/2/05 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
The components listed are not automotive temperature rated. The PIC16F877-20I/P is Industrial-40C to +85C a better choice would perhaps be Automotive-40C to +125C. It get pretty hot under the dash in the sun even not considering the heat from the engine bay. I'm not an electronics expert by any means but perhaps PIC16F877-10E/P ? It appears to be the same PDIP 40 pin package. I will have a look at some of the other components in the next week to be sure.
CJ

DarrenW

posted on 14/2/05 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Any new news?

BobC - have you done anything more with your dash?

Bob C

posted on 14/2/05 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Darren,
not really, here's a bit more info
http://freespace.virgin.net/bob.carter/files/dashbunf.doc
There are 3 in the world (!) and one's been SVA'd.
cheers
Bob

tks

posted on 28/2/05 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Dash7

Can any one give me a link,

i'm sure i can make/ program the pics

have all the equipment already in da house..

TKS

tks

posted on 28/2/05 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
ok

o, foudn the web-site,

i'm also in process of building a digidash.

and offcourse i use microprocessors etc.

if anyone wants to build with me
we can open a new thread ONLY for building it.

then we open another one for comments /questions etc..

ok??

TKS

i don't like the Dash7 soow i make one like the 600punds one with leds for rpm etc...

the only thing i cant find is the black optical film they use...but it could be hard to find it with so much brains over here...

TKS

DarrenW

posted on 28/2/05 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
TKS - what sort of spec are you aiming for?

Its a shame nobody has done a kit or budget version f the ETB digidash or the EVOdash. At the moment it looks like ill have to save up or find a spare arm or leg! as they are so expensive.

The quadmaster would have been ideal if it had a tacho built in.

tks

posted on 7/3/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
well i want to build this!!

offcourse not egual because it will be against the law..

TKS Rescued attachment dpexample.jpg
Rescued attachment dpexample.jpg

tks

posted on 7/3/05 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
but i need still the film to start production...

already have a lasercut adress and the components @ home..

soow

if any one had a idea what 3M optical filter means/ where to buy..

that's the stuff we need..

TKS

wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 7/3/05 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
i did an assignment on 3m optical filter way back undergrad days! its the stuff they put over cash machines to stop people reading the screen over your shoulder. its made of "microlouvres", like a tiny venitian blind), which only let light in/out one way. app. you can also but filter screens for normal monitors, also for privacy reasons, so maybe check out manufacturers of these screens, or if all else fails buy one from a computer shop. guess its to stop glare from the sun on the screen when your driving. (not too disimilar to polaroid film come to think of it, but where polaroid is only horizontal layers optical film is bot horizontal and vertical - like a mesh).
good luck with the build,
zane

Bob C

posted on 8/3/05 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
general problem with LED displays (like mine) is that they become hard to see when the sun shines on them. Best answer is a circularly polarising filter. This attenuates displayed light by 50% but cancels light reflected through it, Costs a fortune though.
So in the real world, a plain neutral density filter helps, display light it attenuated but reflected light is attenuated twice. The security filter would work OK, especially when the sun is not directly behind (and would stop the passenger reading the dash) but would have to be facing squarely at the driver, which is the worst position for sunlight reflections from the filter itself (you'd normally tilt the filter back so you only get reflections of your knees).
BTW if anyone gets a job lot of any of the above I want a peice about 5"x4".......
cheers
Bob

eddymcclements

posted on 15/6/05 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Deckman, wheelsinsteadofhooves

Have you had any contact from Tor Atle recently?

Cheers,

Eddy

Deckman001

posted on 15/6/05 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Eddy, I havn't but I also have not been in contact with him at all, I was leaving that part to Zane(wheelsinsteadofhooves), I am just getting the units made if all goes well, the development people I will use have allready said they would like to change a few things like layout and parts, but I won't do anything without the go-ahead from Tor or Zane
Hope this clears it up ?
Jason

eddymcclements

posted on 30/6/05 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. I've applied for SVA but don't yet have a working speedo! I was hoping that this project would come to fruition in time, but I may have to use a bike speedo or beg/borrow/steal an 80mm electronic speedo for SVA.

Any offers?

Eddy

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.