New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "tool" to bend threaded bar
Humbug

posted on 5/1/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
"tool" to bend threaded bar

I have just fitted some new headlamps (well old ex-Caterham) because:

- I prefer the look of the 7" chrome ones

- the old ones on the standard Stuart Taylor brackets fouled the cycle wings

- because I previously had to raise my nose cone (to allow the bonnet to have a smaller scoop to clear the engine) the lights looked very low down.

As you can see the brackets of the new lamps end in a tube designed to be clamped into a split tube welded to the front top chassis rail. Since I didn't have the tubes and didn't want to feck up the electrics by welding (and I can't weld!) I decided to clamp the tubes onto the rail. However, I couldn't find any U bolts/clamps the right size, so ended upo making them... from some threaded bar.

First I had to make a tool to bend them: a piece of scaffolding plank with a hole drilled to take the bar. A piece of 1" OD tube held in place by an extra piece of wood on one side and a 6" nail on the other. Bung it all in the vice, bend the bar round the tube and Bob's your uncle.

The cross pieces were made from flat bar.

I fitted the lights today with 2 U bolts a side, held on with Nylocs. I went out for a few miles and they seem solid as a rock. I think the fact that I used threaded bar helps keep the lamp tubes from rotating.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the experience with you Rescued attachment 2008-01-02 Bending tool.JPG
Rescued attachment 2008-01-02 Bending tool.JPG

britishtrident

posted on 5/1/08 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I am pretty sure no mater how you bend the the bar they will break as soon as you put them in service due to the notch effect.

[Edited on 5/1/08 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Humbug

posted on 5/1/08 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the vote of confidence

Oh well... if they do break, I will try to locate some proper U bolts... I know they exist, as I've seen aerial mast bolts which look about right on t'internet. If I see any before they break, I might get them anyway

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 5/1/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about them. We have used threaded bar bent like that on the stock cars to hold 6mm thick door plates to the roll cage as well bolting the roll cage through the roof without them breaking even after some "good crashes" so i think they will hold your headlights on ok

cidersurfer

posted on 5/1/08 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's the sort of thing a decent chandlers will stock. A quick google...

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

Humbug

posted on 5/1/08 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cidersurfer
It's the sort of thing a decent chandlers will stock. A quick google...

Yes, Google was my friend over Xmas and I did see those... just the s/s ones with VAT + P&P are not very locost (also on those particualr ones I would have to grind off the little tabs).

rogerman

posted on 6/1/08 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
why threaded bar

why threaded bar a u bolts would have done the same job plus it would of looked a bit more pleaseing to the eye but best of luck with it
Humbug

posted on 6/1/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rogerman
why threaded bar a u bolts would have done the same job plus it would of looked a bit more pleaseing to the eye but best of luck with it

... 'cos I couldn't find any the right size (as I said in the original post ). They all seem to be too short in the legs, or else OK in length but massively wide, and I was worried about twisting.

Only one of the bolts is visible on the outside on each side of the car, and I sprayed them black so they blend in with the chassis rails/suspension ears visible at the same points.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.