Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Full body
Triton

posted on 28/5/06 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Full body

Full Body for 7 type cars.
Most will know I have moulds for a body that dates back to 1958,the car is a bit like a Midget/Cobra etc but not.

I have made a start to allow the body to fit the Locost type chassis but...cars like the Mk Indy, Mac#1 R etc would need a whopping 8" arch extension in each corner........so I put it to the vote.

Mad wide arches ( prefer this route) or make the whole thing wider ?

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 28/5/06 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention, the body was originally made up in Sheffield way before I was even a glint in the milkman's eye

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
8" in total or 8" a side?

I think 4" each side isn't too bad and i'd go that way so us people with "normal" and "proper" cars still have an upgrade path one winter when we're bored & it means you're still keeping the same dimensions to the original.

Triton

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Surprised me as doesn't look that narrow until compared against Indy dimensions....It's 8" in each corner! so will end up like an hour glass when viewed from above....ie: sides wasted in so would look rather tasty.

There is also a grp windcreen frame and a hard top even doors but on a seven that would be a tad awkward as a bit like Cobra doors.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Hellfire

posted on 28/5/06 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yep. Really need to see some pictures before deciding.

Triton

posted on 28/5/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
This is a copy taken from an old brochure when the body was first done way back in 1958ish Rescued attachment Townend.jpg
Rescued attachment Townend.jpg

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

andyps

posted on 28/5/06 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Split it down the middle and make it wider - Morris Minor style.

Looks good.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

froggy

posted on 28/5/06 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
what was the kit supposed to use as running gear originally then? ive got a modified mk indy chassis under my reliant kitten shell and i have mocked up 5" arch extensions to cover the wheels which are standard et 38 7x15 . the reliant had a 47" track as standard, and tha sierra is 54" so if you need 16" to cover the wheels the car must have been 38" track if im right?
SixedUp

posted on 28/5/06 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I agree ... split it and widen the whole thing. Putting 8" arch extensions on that would be a crime. Its quite pretty enough as it is
Cheers
Richard

Mave

posted on 28/5/06 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, split in the middle, widen it by 12 inches, and add 2 inch arch extensions.
DIY Si

posted on 28/5/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
What he said ^. Widen by 10-12" and add some pleasantly blended in arch extension thingies. Should look very nice. And if it ends up being vaguely lo(w)cost i'll probably even have one off you!
Bob C

posted on 28/5/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
This is quite interesting - I was on the lookout for a full body to go on the locost chassis. The wheelbase on my car (which shouldn't be far off 'book' size) is 52". Do you plan to make it accomodate the 'book' backend? What about a roll-over bar? Flared arches aren't necessarily bad - the 427 cobra grew out of the AC ace (ended up looking like one on steroids...)
Could this end up as, 1) take the cycle wings & rear arches, screen bonnet scuttle & nosecone off 2) pop new body over the top 3) do up 6 bolts in rivnuts - then away we go.....????
Bob

Triton

posted on 28/5/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting......
It was made to go on a Ford Pop as well as things like the Buckler DD2 at least I seem to remember the fella saying something along those lines.

The rear section is part of the centre tub and will have a boot lid so a roll bar could be fitted but some tricky pipe work from underneath will be needed if rear stays used......or go forwards as per the Challenger.
Not got a clue how much but certainly not the silly money things like this usually sell at..

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

locostv8

posted on 28/5/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
In the 50s there was a guy who made copies of an early Ferrari. I can't remember the spelling of his name so I couldn't find a copy, it was Devon(??). The point is that he made his molds adjustable so he could offer different lengths and widths to fit a variety of car chassis. With some thought You could make the body in 4 sections and the purchaser would merely trim down to get the desired lengthy and width. Then offer add on flairs or leave the flairs to the purchaser. This would make fitment to a number of chassis and should make shipping easier. At the right price point I would be interested in a copy. Flairs done in the style of the 427 Cobra would look quite nice on that body though.

[Edited on 28/5/06 by locostv8]

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

miserableoldgit

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you could make my cycle wings I would be grateful; or at least reply to my U2Us.

The AC Cobra looked pathetic and skinny until the wheel arches got massively widened; go with the 8" extensions and blend them in with style.

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young

Triton

posted on 29/5/06 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
U2u on it's merry way..

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Triton

posted on 29/5/06 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Blending in 8" extensions is my preffered route so it gives the body that "hour glass" look when viewed from above. I like the shape of the Phoenix/Fury etc which have a wasted in centre section.....But this beast will be wider across the arches so no need for specially shortened driveshafts.

It will be more a hobby than anything else with the way things are now so won't exactly be done next week.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

rusty nuts

posted on 29/5/06 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
One advantage of splitting in the middle and adding 12" is that some of the larger drivers may fit ?
Viper

posted on 29/5/06 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
One advantage of splitting in the middle and adding 12" is that some of the larger drivers may fit ?

only if you made the chassis wider surely, i thought the point was to drop onto a standard chassis?

Triton

posted on 29/5/06 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Cockpit opening is 42" x 32" surely big enough?....The Challenger wasn't far off that and some big folk fitted that ok.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

DIY Si

posted on 29/5/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
It would probably be worth widening the shell, or offering the chance to do so, since so many people are building +4's.
gottabedone

posted on 29/5/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
As there are many reasons why people go for a larger chassis (cockpit size being only one) would it be worth sizing your body on the 442 chassis. This gives most people a direct fit for the body, or at least an upgrade opportunity in the future.

Widening the arches would give the car more of a modern stance. This would suit the choice of wheels/seats and interior that most people have (i.e. carbon fibre, chrome, ally etc).

Looks and sounds promising, good luck

Steve

alistairolsen

posted on 11/3/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Mark, did you ever get around to doing anything with this?

My Build Thread

Triton

posted on 11/3/10 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Andy at Saturn Sports Cars now has the moulds as I have called it a day due to stuffed shoulder...badger him because it really is worth doing as such a pretty shape.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.