Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike ignitions
en0tdc

posted on 2/3/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
bike ignitions

Hi guys, guess this is going to be my first post of many! Ive just picked up a vfr800 motor to drop into my lil wagon, i have almost all of the engine parts and the wiring loom. The question i have is how do i get it started from there! Im assuming the bike key and button must have plugged into one of the connectors (havent really looked) and also that it is going to be clever enough not to let me just touch the appropriate wires together!?How do other bike enginned cars do it? do you use the bikes key and starter buttons? any advice very welcome!!
Jon Ison

posted on 2/3/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure on yours but on most there are a couple of things you need to "trick" into thinking its still in the bike......

These can be, side stand down, in neutral, if not using the bike key there can be problems there too, the engines Ive used have been ok on this front but plenty on here have overcome those problems too, I'm sure someone will be along too tell you how its done.

Oh, and finally welcome.

stevec

posted on 2/3/06 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
First get a Manual for the bike it came out of, or download a circuit diagram if you can.You WILL need it.As the previous post says you will need to ground out certain wires to get the ignition to work which is inhibited when stand is down or clutch not in etc.

And welcome to the Forum.

[Edited on 2/3/06 by stevec]

en0tdc

posted on 2/3/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys. i have the haynes manual and i got one of those dealer guides you get on ebay for a few quid? forget the haynes, that is so much better! 600 odd pages with decent exploded drawings. unfortunately it doesnt explain how to put it in a car and 'avoid' certain bits of the ignition but hey!
Guinness

posted on 2/3/06 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum

If you are in the UK and subject to an SVA test, most people retain the standard key / steering column switch. It's then just a matter of connecting the bike loom to the correct contacts on the ignition switch on the steering column. This assumes you can get both manuals or circuit diagrams.

I wired the positive feed through the ignition switch so that the power comes on on position II (position I just releases the steering lock). Then I wired in a kill switch and a push button start, only because I liked it and it looks better!

Anyway I love flipping the red safety cover up, throwing the toggle switch and then pressing the starter. Feels like a race car that way.

HTH

Mike

en0tdc

posted on 2/3/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
mm, thats sounds like a plan. will investigate the conector on the bikes loom and see what is required. ideally i can just wire that into the bikes loom. all depends on the connector to the bike i guess.
JoelP

posted on 2/3/06 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
yup, bikes have stop, start and ignition usually. Cars obviously only have a single key for everything. You need to check the loom to see if it can all be put together onto a single key, or use seperate buttons where required. Im going to put it all on the key, to save modifying the dash.
froggy

posted on 3/3/06 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
what car is the engine going in?
en0tdc

posted on 3/3/06 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
he he some one had to ask! There is a bit of a story behind it....

Basically 6 month-ish ago i decided i wanted a little car to go in my garage to play with, maybe restore and make a few quid etc etc. A mini seemed the obvious choice but after searching for a while, i couldnt find one decent and cheap! It would have been all work and no play! I did however find, in almost mint condition, for the price of a mini spare wheel (almost!), a 1976 mk 1 fiat 127!

Cutting a long story short, I blew the engine up and it was a toss up between rebuilding a rubbish engine or having some fun! One of my mates is dropping a bike engine into a mini and it got me thinking! I have worked out all the how to do it, now at the stage of putting theory into practise! no going back now!

At the moment its stripped down, and ive got the bike engine sat on my bench, I want to get the electrics clear in my head and prob fire it up on the bench before i go to all the effort of transplanting!

froggy

posted on 3/3/06 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
my kind of car there must be a name for people who put big engines in little cars? heres my tl1000 powered kittenive kept the wiring totally seperate from the reliant ,just linked up the battery cables so if(when) i stuff it i can keep the bike wirng and use it again in another car,and with no sva to worry about! Rescued attachment kitten.jpg
Rescued attachment kitten.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.