Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: formula student-esq
skint scotsman

posted on 19/7/05 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
formula student-esq

heres some plans for a formula student -esq bike engined track car very basic at moment but and comments and critisim would be greatly appreciated

[URL=http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fschassisplanpsd9kz.jpg][/U RL]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skint scotsman

posted on 19/7/05 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
copy and paste address if you want i bigger image

all bars will be of same thickness

[Edited on 19/7/05 by skint scotsman]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 19/7/05 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
LINK FOR LAZY PEOPLE

Make sure you triangulate everything properly, this will be easier to do once you've got a final design.

I suggest laying out, in 3D if possible, all the components you want to use, including the driver, and then connect them all together with the frame, rather than designing the frame first and trying to fit all the components inside it.

Pete

[Edited on 19/7/05 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

Mark18

posted on 19/7/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Is there anyway to change the 3 bars going into the middle of another one. I'd also try and find a way to triangulate the front wheel area.

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

ADD

posted on 19/7/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Try putting two braces in instead of one so it looks like > instead of \.
Lotusmark2

posted on 20/7/05 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Grab a copy of High speed low cost, I have found it sooooo good for planning my single seater.
chrisf

posted on 20/7/05 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, you should probably do this in 3D CAD. It will make your life much simpler!

--Chris

crbrlfrost

posted on 20/7/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think its already been stated best in that you need to account for the engine, fuel tank, driver, and suspension components prior to designing the bracket to hold it all together. I especially see problems in the back, as it looks like a nice triangulated section now, but you have to account for wishbone pickups (don't see a lot of good areas right now), the driveshafts coming through, the ability to install and remove the engine, etc. But, I'm sure it will come together, just keep working. Cheers
kanscrx

posted on 22/7/05 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
If I might, I'd suggest:
Position a mockup (or in cad) for the diver and front suspension. Have that be a mild steel frame, or RHS or round tubing. Once you have the right length and width worked out and the space frame designed, then work on the back.
You could make the engine cradle and rear suspension pickup points out of aluminium, and have the whole section be a bolton subframe.
Sort of like this:
http://www.jayhawkmotorsports.com/portal/portal/alias__Rainbow/lang__en/tabID__28/DesktopDefault.aspx

[Edited on 22/7/05 by kanscrx]

skint scotsman

posted on 31/7/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote

Jedi (500cc Yamaha) race car at Knockhill Race Circuit (Scotland).
Not totally Mini based but is 'miniscule'!

anybody know anything about these

cymtriks

posted on 1/8/05 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
suggestions

The attached picture shows my thoughts for a spaceframe. Rescued attachment designsuggestions.jpg
Rescued attachment designsuggestions.jpg

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.