Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wanted KOI filter for 3000 gal pond
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 9/7/05 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Wanted KOI filter for 3000 gal pond

Bit off topic but we had to check
Just want to check before I buy filter media that one hasnt got a large filter or other pond gear requiring a home.

So tell us what you got and we will see I we can do a deal

Peteff

posted on 9/7/05 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself down to the builders yard for a large cistern and some Canterbury spa for pebbledashing. Turn a lily pot upside down and make a hole in it for the pipe then fill it up with spa and pea gravel washed well. You can put some filter foam on top if you want, then run a couple of exit pipes from the other side. Make sure it's where you want it before you fill it as you'll not move it after. Rescued attachment pond filter.jpg
Rescued attachment pond filter.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 9/7/05 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Pete
We have got a tank like you describe but we need filter media and a vortex.
This pond is just a "small one" Rescued attachment P1010022.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010022.JPG

Peteff

posted on 9/7/05 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
The washed gravel is a biological filter medium. Once it has been used for a couple of weeks it will be actively filtering but you may use UV in the pipe to the filter to kill off algae.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Deckman001

posted on 10/7/05 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, how often should the filter get 'cleaned', my filter medium gets clogged after a couple of weeks and i have to wash it out loosing loads of the 'good' bacteria???

Jason
(ps Bio sys set 1)

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 10/7/05 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Sorry, how often should the filter get 'cleaned', my filter medium gets clogged after a couple of weeks and i have to wash it out loosing loads of the 'good' bacteria???

Jason
(ps Bio sys set 1)

Sounds like you need a little more mechanical filtration pre BSS1 http://www.worldofwater.co.uk/shop/item.asp?itemid=9

or are your stocking levels very high

Deckman001

posted on 10/7/05 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Your probably right about the stocking level they have all grown !! what started as 2" Koi are now about 16", Ill look to improve it then, Many thanks
Jason

Deckman001

posted on 10/7/05 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
So then, I need another filter to use as well as the Bio set, can i use the method mentioned above, before the Bio set and use the Bio set just as a bacteria filer, and use the other as a mechanical filter ??

Jason

Peteff

posted on 10/7/05 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
You can use as many filters as you like, I would think the more the merrier, if it makes life easier than changing to a larger filter. What rate does your pump flow as it might help to flow more water through the filters if you increase the filtration area.

yours, Pete

Deckman001

posted on 10/7/05 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
It's an Aquamax5000 i think
I was thinking of using a cold water style plastic tank with media in it, any good???

Jason

Peteff

posted on 10/7/05 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
That's what everyone I know uses.

yours, Pete

Deckman001

posted on 11/7/05 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, how often will it need cleaning when in use, or is that a daft question cos it depends on size/quantity of stock, maybe i should ask, how often do you clean yours ??

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.