Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: welding cast iron BBQ...
MikeR

posted on 3/5/05 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
welding cast iron BBQ...

So you're at a BBQ, some muppet (not me) happens to break a cast iron stove leg and you get asked to fix it....well this happened ages ago and at the BBQ yesterday i couldn't get out of trying to fix the stove.

So its a thin leg, maybe 2mm thick, how do i weld it back?

Preheat as much as possible then wizz the mig over it ? Put a bit of 3mm mild steel behind mig'd to add some strength and hope it holds???

HELP

[Edited on 3/5/05 by MikeR]

Triton

posted on 3/5/05 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yep preheat but for it to stay welded it needs welding with a stick welder using disimilar rods
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 3/5/05 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
damn, looks like i'll have to figure something else out then........bolt it perhaps
paulf

posted on 3/5/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
You could braze it if you have access to oxyactelyene.I have brazed cast items before and its usually sucessfull depending on the quality of the material.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
damn, looks like i'll have to figure something else out then........bolt it perhaps

clbarclay

posted on 3/5/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Have welded cast iron in the past, but you don't use a dissimilar rod, there are special rods specifically for welding cast iron.

MikeR

posted on 3/5/05 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
the problem is i've only got mig!

the metal will be the crappest you can get, its an old pot style BBQ. Its great to use as a fire on the patio, all sit round it till the early hours, drinking, talking and stoking it ..... fab fun.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 4/5/05 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Cast iorn makes good money as scrap.....sell it and get another
NS Dev

posted on 4/5/05 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
the problem is i've only got mig!

the metal will be the crappest you can get, its an old pot style BBQ. Its great to use as a fire on the patio, all sit round it till the early hours, drinking, talking and stoking it ..... fab fun.

Is it yours Mike??????

If so, I'll bring me old stick welder over with some dissimilar rods if you want!

clbarclay

posted on 4/5/05 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Locost BBQ

Take 1 old oil drum (preferably round) either 25 or 40 gallon drums doo nicely.

Cut in half (top to bottom through both ends)

Turn over the cut edges, and lay if flat on its side. The cut open side is know the top.

If buring wood, the one flat end needs partly trimming out, making it an alter fire.

For legs take 2 lengths of tube/box (1" x 1" x 16swg rhs will do) and make a cross. Repeat so you end up with 2 crosses, and fix one to each end of the drum, bolts with wing nuts are good for doing this.

In stead of legs you can just sit the drum on 4 house bricks to stop it rolling, but legs raise it up.

Take a peice of hefty weld mesh and bend over top of the drum to make a grid for cooking on. You could use ready made grids from else where, but 40 gallon drums need one slightly bigger than any i've seen ready made.

The top 2 photos below are of alter fires, made from 40 gallon drums. The bottom one purly out of interest is an over made from a 5 gallon drum, thats dug into the ground. Rescued attachment alter fire 2 small.JPG
Rescued attachment alter fire 2 small.JPG

MikeR

posted on 4/5/05 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Aaah, we already have a barral BBQ, this is cut in half, hinged, with fire bricks in the bottom and mounted on something .... works really well.

The cast iron bit is what we use to keep warm when it gets late (and give the blokes something to play with).

Nat, not mine, but i seem to spend the most time playing with it (and getting told off). I'll bring it round to yours sometime - its easily transportable - its only about 2' high.

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/5/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
If its grey cast, monel metal arc rods will glue it for a short while, or you could stitch it with a mig. Drill and tap M5 holes 15mm apart on both sides and wind in studs so they are about 3mm abart on both sides of the leg. Mig these together and grind down.

But to be honest, if it is 2mm thick and grey cast, its scrap

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

MikeR

posted on 4/5/05 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Well i think its going to be a case of using it as another excuse to go visit nat.

See what we can do with the arc.

Then when that fails make a replacement leg out of mild steel and bolt / bodge that onto it.

posted on 4/5/05 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
The oil drum BBQ will rust away while looking at it.Once it has seen some serious heat the "rust army" takes over at an incredible rate.

Peteff

posted on 5/5/05 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Line it with fire clay, make one of these if you want to play with fire.
http://www.visi.com/~darus/foundry2/
Another one here from my list of favourites.Lots of links.
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/links.html

[Edited on 5/5/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DaveFJ

posted on 5/5/05 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Used the oil drum type BBQ for years in the Army - always a favourite and last forever, who cares about a bit of rust ? the 'grill' gets cleaned by the flames when you light it anyway

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

clbarclay

posted on 5/5/05 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all, its Chris's Dad again.

Re. rust & oil drums, they last 10-15 years with our scout group.
As regards army use my uncle who served in N Africa last war said they cut the oil drum across about 1/3 of the way up and then filled it with sand. Pour in 1 jerry-can of petrol and light. Just like a glorified spirit burner under a fondue.

Oil drum is cheap enough but jerry-can of petrol hardly in keeping with the Locost ethos. Also authorities at Stoneleigh might take a dim view, tho' would cook minimoto's (and riders) quite nicely.

timf

posted on 5/5/05 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
the 'grill' gets cleaned by the flames when you light it anyway

avgas is not the recognised method for starting a barbie dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.