Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sharpening drill bits
dern

posted on 4/3/05 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Sharpening drill bits

How do you sharpen drill bits on a bench grinder? I did one and it worked a treat and then did another and it was completely blunt so I guess the first one was a fluke.

Any tips for doing it by hand?

Thanks,

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 4/3/05 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Try this?

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=22181

timf

posted on 4/3/05 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Have a bench grinder?

Scribe a 59 degree line (should look like the hour hand at 1 o'clock) on the tool rest.

Clamp a small peice of steel stock on the line. That serves as your fence.

Turn the grinder on.

Using the fence as your guide slowly feed the bit towards the wheel and turn the bit clockwise.

dern

posted on 4/3/05 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Cool, thanks

I'll give that a go later.

Regards,

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mix

posted on 4/3/05 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry timf but it's not quite that simple

Your method will give no lip clearance and thus no cutting edge. This means excessive pressure will have to be used to 'induce' the bit to cut. You need to grind back from the cutting edge a 9-12 degree clearance.

Mick

clbarclay

posted on 4/3/05 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
To get the rough way of measuring both sides of an drill bit, take 2 sufficiently big nuts and weld them together side by side like in diagram below.

This gives and angle of 120 degrees, only 2 degrees of ideal angle. 120 as oposed to 118 is still plenty acurtate enough for good drilling. Rescued attachment drill bit angle.JPG
Rescued attachment drill bit angle.JPG

DarrenW

posted on 4/3/05 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I learnt how to do them by hand as part of my toolmaking apprenticeship. Even after a few years of not having to do them ive always managed them first try when doing the build. Its a skill that you just dont forget after plenty of practice. I cannot however even start to think how to describe in writing how to do them.

Why not try;
1. Take a perfectly good (eg 10mm) bit and try to copy it. Look at the land across the flank and offer it up to the wheel to learn how to hold them. I use my left hand as the jig and control the bit movement with right hand. Try getting the angles without switching the grinder on at first. I gring the cutting edge first then pivot the bit vertically upwards to get the clearance. Keeping angle constant (dont move left hand, just rotate the bit off the wheel) repeat on second side. Using a good bit as a guide will teach you what the geometry should be.
trust me, once youve sussed its not hard and you will be wondering what the fuss is about.

The biggest mistake people make is by rotating the bit while grinding it - you cant get the chisel tip right doing that. I touch on at correct angle then pivot the bit that is resting on fourth finger of left hand verticall upwards in a straight line - no rotation.
2. Get a plasplugs bit grinder or similar and make it easy for yourself.

Its annoying me this as i could show someone in 3minutes how to do and after 30 mins with an old box of bits you could be doing a good job.

Tips - dont get them too hot. Have a cup of water handy (i assume you wont have coolant) to keep them cool.
When sharpening dull bits just touch them onto the wheel - dont try and take too much off. Once youve mastered that then go for re-grinding chipped of damaged bits.
Both cutting faces need to be same length.

Ive tried to find web link but no success - they all refer to jigs and tools.

[Edited on 4/3/05 by DarrenW]

Mix

posted on 4/3/05 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
See here for info on drill sharpoening

http://www.machine-tools.org.uk/guide.html

Mick

Jon Ison

posted on 4/3/05 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I would find it impossible to explain in words how too sharpen a drill bit, like stated above could show you in a matter if mins.

clbarclay

posted on 4/3/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Does any body know how tools like the Bosch S 41 drill bit sharpener work and whether they are any good?

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/3/05 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Non of the 'magic' drill sharpeners work - it is all down to practice. I learnt by working on large broken drills chucked at me by old men in manilla dust coats. Once you have the feel for it, you can sharpen even the smallest of drills in seconds

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

clbarclay

posted on 4/3/05 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just like sharpening knifes then, I've tried the pattent knife sharpeners (usuall when at a friends house and they don't have a steel), Theres a lot to be said time, effort and a good basic tool.

Simon

posted on 5/3/05 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
Angle grinder.

Sharpen a twist bit in about 15 secs

ATB

Simon

the JoKeR

posted on 12/3/05 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if these are sold outside of North America, but I'm VERY happy with the Drill Doctor.

It takes care of just about all the bits I'll use, up to 3/4". It does standard bits, split-points, and masonary bits. Yes, it can be done by hand by people with the right touch, but that's not me! It sharpened the following bit so well that the following spirals were made with a regular hand held drill going through 1/4" steel. It's not cheap, but it saves me a LOT of time and I always have sharp bits on-hand.

Jeff
http://www.midwestwelding.com
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.