Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oil vent catch tank
ayoungman

posted on 26/1/05 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
oil vent catch tank

I've just made a simple catch tank for the oil vent. It wasn't easy, I'm getting it chromed tomorrow. How do other builders make/buy theirs. The 'Watson' bloke in the mag said " i made up a catch tank and painted. It took me a good 3 or 4 hours....and I've got access to a fully kitted workshop ! Rescued attachment DSCF0316.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0316.JPG

"just like that !"

DarrenW

posted on 26/1/05 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
there was some ali ones on ebay not so long ago, approx £40 IIRC.
My father has just bought one from Burtons for about £60 (2 litre).

Is it right that if you want to go on track days you have to have one fitted? I was told this but then thought that loads of people take standard road cars out so maybe not true.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 26/1/05 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
For the Westfield racer I work on we made our catcher tank by running a bit of hose into an evian bottle cable tied to the chassis. After a race we just cut it loose, tip the oil back in and reattach it. Simple

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ayoungman

posted on 26/1/05 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
oil

After I had made it, I did start thinking that I could make use of some other container..... baked bean tin etc. Might have a go at a more interesting shape next time.

"just like that !"

ady8077

posted on 26/1/05 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Rally design do a cheap plastic catch tank that has a K&N style filter on top

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=32&products_id=7725

Adrian

andylancaster3000

posted on 26/1/05 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Is it right that if you want to go on track days you have to have one fitted? I was told this but then thought that loads of people take standard road cars out so maybe not true.

I know that most (if not all) race formulas have to hav a catch tank, I would imagine it is an aim to reduce the amount of oil and other contaminants which would make it slippery. Even road engines which breathe into the intake would lay oil onto the surface over time.

I don't see whats wrong with an old beer can as a catch tank!

Andy

shortie

posted on 26/1/05 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
For racing you will need one, for track days they don't check and would never know whether you had one or not. Any container will do as long as it's easy to empty.

Rich.

Stu16v

posted on 26/1/05 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Please fit a catch tank if you are going on a track day. I for one don't want to be sliding on your oil! TBH, it is good practise for road use too, if only to try and keep motorcyclists upright...

Also, plastic bottles etc are no good for catch tanks, unless they can stand a bit of heat. The Volvic water bottle I used for a catch tank actually melted, so now an old thinners tin does the job...

[Edited on 26/1/05 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 27/1/05 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I gave macspeedy a old fire extinguisher that had been used ( the cost of a new one was less than a refill) This ali one got a new top turned for it and the bracket got mounted on the bulkhead. We got some T-cut and cleaned all the silk screened Fire instructions off and it looks good. Like it was made for the job.

This is a money saveing of from mac s!LOL

timf

posted on 27/1/05 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
msa also say catch tanks cannot be vented direct to atmosphere and should have one of the little breather filters due to the oil vapor being able to escape.
btw it's a rule for race tracks not for trackdays.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.