Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New source of good steering column.
Rob Lane

posted on 23/11/04 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
New source of good steering column.

We've just scrapped a Vauxhall Corsa B and have removed the steering column.

I noticed what an excellent design it was for a Locost. It has a collapsible section, keylock, has two very nice universal joints on a nice solid steel round bar. Has easy mountings and can easily take a welded on 'down' rod.

I will take a pic and post it.

DarrenW

posted on 23/11/04 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I used to work for NSK steering systems. They make the Honda Civic columns. These should also make good alternative. Very short design, reach rake adjustable etc. Only downside is that compact design may be difficult to fit under dash area but worth a look.

Regards,
Darren.

Browser

posted on 23/11/04 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Please do as I have just discovered that both of the free Sierra steering columns I have are damaged. One has had the lock barrel chiselled in a theft attempt, the other has one of the stalk switch mounting lugs cracked off. I was going to get another Sierra one but believe it or not they are getting more and more scarce in the local scrappies, so a more modern/common alternative would be nice
When you say Corsa B, what do you mean exactly?

Rob Lane

posted on 23/11/04 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Corsa B is around P registered, any breaker will know which models they are. Rescued attachment Corsa steering.jpg
Rescued attachment Corsa steering.jpg

Rob Lane

posted on 23/11/04 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Black framework will unbolt but I've not got round to it. Also the stalks have been removed but are a nice fit and short too.

[Edited on 23/11/04 by Rob Lane] Rescued attachment Corsa B.jpg
Rescued attachment Corsa B.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 24/11/04 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Corsa column looks good. Does the mounting face need to be altered to fit the Locost chassis? Be careful how this is done so that the collapse mechanism works OK in crash. These are all carefully designed to mount in the vehicle in a certain way. The intermediate shaft looks like it also has a sliding part that must not be altered as the force to compress will be changed (again crash protection). The column output shaft looks modifiable though.

I have to say after working as a project manager for an automotive steering company (NSK) and knowing the stringent safety tests that new developments go through, the idea of modifying columns and racks to fit se7en clones scares me a lot. Ive known columns getting extended / modified for early trials by experienced model makers and then braking in test (torque durability tests). I think most locosters get away with it by over engineering and limited mileage. One DIY weld between steering / no steering is a concern. ive also seen solid shafts being sleeved to extend them, welded top and bottom and drilled / plug welded for allegedly added strength. Very careful welding is required with this method to prevent only the outer tube being welded, leaving the holes through the shaft which weakens them.
Out of interest, has anyone done any testing on modified columns, id be interested to see the results.

Please be careful out there and if you doubt your skills at all please use experts.

Cheers,
Darren.

Rob Lane

posted on 24/11/04 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you look at pics (son took them upside down) then there are two shear bolts holding column bracket at top and one nut/bolt holding a right angled bracket at bottom.

In a Locost then it's quite easy to make support brackets to suit the column. This would be supported exactly as in Corsa, so it should be OK for the angles for the crush etc.
In fact in a Locost nearly all the columns have to take an angle downwards to reach the rack, unless someone has been daft enough to make it dead straight! For a start the steering wheel angle would be awful!

DarrenW

posted on 25/11/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I know you havent said this Rob but my earlier reply seemed to be-little your cracking good idea (im bollokking myself here after reading it again!). Your plan seems sound Rob. Having the I-shaft running at an angle to the line of the column / input shaft of rack is normal in cars and helps to absorb some impact / deflect the force to one side.

My other rant was a bit jobsworth. Im all for a bit of modding. Quite often the factory parts are a compromise between good engineering and economics. I hope my rant gives someone with no automotive experience the knowledge that there is more to a steering column than meets the eye.

Let us know what the column is like when fitted. It should be good.

I wonder if anyone building heavier kits has tried to fit an EPAS unit??

Cheers,
Darren.

Browser

posted on 28/11/04 at 04:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much Rob. Looks like that lower link with the UJ at each end would be prime for being lengthened to become the downlink to the rack. Having sat in the car and tried moving my plates around with the steering column in place I may have a problem with the standard rack position (it sits above the brake pedal and seriously encroaches on foot movement). Using a column such as this one would allow different routing, thus alleviating this problem. THere is a section on this chaps website where he fitted Peugeot 206 switchgear to his Sierra column as it was better than the Ford kit (in his opinion, of course) so that is another option. The thing I like about newer cars is (a) they are newer so there's more about! (b) they often only have 2 stalks and (c) the rear foglight switch is often incorporated into the stalks, meaning you'd probably only need a hazard light switch on the dash as every other function would be on a stalk.

britishtrident

posted on 1/12/04 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
I used to work for NSK steering systems. They make the Honda Civic columns. These should also make good alternative. Very s
snip
Darren.

Yes the Rover 200/400 type is very similar.

Marcus

posted on 5/12/04 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I used a Manta steering column 'cos I hate too many stalks, 1 is enough - used seperate rotary switch for lights again off Manta. I agree these are probably as rare as undamaged Sierra ones, but it works for me.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.