Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have I broken my speedo sender?
scoobyis2cool

posted on 28/9/04 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Have I broken my speedo sender?

I've got the speedo sender below, it takes a signal from magnets on the propshaft. I was just adjusting the spacing between the sensor and the magnets and made it too close and it hit the magnets several times while the propshaft was turning. now i don't seem to be able to get a signal from it

What's the best way to check if i've broken it? I used a multimeter across the terminals and when I passed a magnet past the sensor the multimeter didn't budge, does this mean i've broken it?

Cheers

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 28/9/04 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Probably!

It's a reed switch inside, where the magnetic field pulls 2 contacts together.

Give Greengauges a ring - I'm sure they'll send you one in the post ASAP if you ask nicely (I found them to be very helpful when I had a problem)

rgds,

David

scoobyis2cool

posted on 28/9/04 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Helps if I attach the photo...

Pete Rescued attachment speedosender.jpg
Rescued attachment speedosender.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 28/9/04 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Oh... forget what I said earlier!

That looks like a hall-effect sensor, unless I'm mistaken. If it is, you may only get an output when there's voltage applied.

If it is a reed switch, then what I said before still goes!

I still suggest that you give Caerbont a ring...

David

Northy

posted on 28/9/04 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, its a reed switch version. Did you get your guages from greengauges.com?

Does your multimeter have a continuity check (beep function)? If it does set it on this.

As you move a magnet near it it should beep, if not it f**ked. I suspect it is, Pat (Avoneer) did the same to his the night before his SVA! I changed it for him (actually fitted mine which I had taken off my car) in the carpark at the SVA centre!

I also broke mine by overtightening it. I get a replacement fro RS or Farnell, its exactly the same (part no and everything) and is cheaper. I'll dig out the invoice if you want the code number.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

scoobyis2cool

posted on 28/9/04 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I've checked it with the continuity function on my multimeter and can confirm it is nicely knackered

The part number/code would be really useful, I don' particularly fancy forking out £30 to Europa Spares for a new one. I did phone CAI today but just missed their office hours, turns out they go home at 4, I expected it to be 5.

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.