Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: just fitted engine, altenator bracket fouls steering column
john_p_b

posted on 28/7/04 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
just fitted engine, altenator bracket fouls steering column

sorry about the long title there!

right i know there is already a thread about alternators in here but as this is a whole different problem i thought id start fresh!

ok so i decided to go for it tonight and drop the engine and box in to see how things looked and what needed doing to mount it all properly, couple of alterations needed to the floor cos the guy got a bit carried away with the ali for the floor so need to cut some of that out. BUT biggest issue i came across.....the steering column seriously fouls the alternator mount bracket never mind even trying to get the alternator on there too!

i'm guessing everyone has this to overcome? if so whats the fix?!

HELP!!

thanks
john

JoelP

posted on 28/7/04 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
mines not an MK, but i concluded that the easiest way around it was to move the steering column. so i bought a UJ at a jumble, solved it in a few hours. Not SVA'd yet but i cant see him objecting much...

scoobyis2cool

posted on 29/7/04 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

I had that exact problem a few weeks ago when i fitted my engine. What I had to do was make my own alternator bracket, not as daunting as it sounds. It is a flat plate of steel of some description with 6 holes in it - 3 to hold the plate to to the engine and 3 to hold the alternator to the plate. I positioned the holes so that the alternator sat higher and further back than usual, this helps it to avoid the chassis rail in this area.

I haven't got any pics at the moment, I'll try and take one tomorrow but it may not be very clear because it is so hidden away behind body panels, exhaust etc.

I do however have a drawing that my dad did for me on cad and i think that has dimensions on it, i'll try and find it out tomorrow. That would allow you to get an identical bracket made up, I can't guarantee it will fit for you but I don't see why it should be any different, mine is an Indy with a 2L pinto.

My dad got the plate made up by one of the manufacturing companies he does work for but i'm sure you could make it yourself if you wanted to.

i'll post more details tomorrow

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 29/7/04 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
One more thing I've though of, what style of alternator bracket do you have? One style has a solid piece that fits in between the two alternator mounting holes and the other (if i recall correctly) has 2 mounting flanges that fit at either end of the alternator.

Not sure if that made sense but basically there are 2 types of mounting bracket and my adapter plate only works with one of them, I'll give you some more info tomorrow when I've had a look at it

Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 29/7/04 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Les Newell had this problem a long while back, and describes his solution here. Go down the page until you see the bit about alternators - there's a link to an alternator bracket he made.

Hope this helps,

David

john_p_b

posted on 30/7/04 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
joel - any pictures of where and how u put the UJ in there?

scooby - mine is the one with the solid cast mount bracket. is that the one you had to work around?

david - looked at that site and it seems pretty helpfull apart from his pictures are in some format that my pc can't open!!! any pc tech heads know how to solve that!?!

cheers for the help so far guys

john

mookaloid

posted on 30/7/04 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

Thanks for the kind words on my car!

I think I can help with the Alternator bracket drawing. I can email you a zipped .bmp which can be opened with MS paint if you like....

JoelP

posted on 30/7/04 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john_p_b
joel - any pictures of where and how u put the UJ in there?

john

pictures will be pretty useless cos mines a very deviant chassis. But im getting a camera soon so i'll stick a picture up then.

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/7/04 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I made mine to pivot at the bottom to minimise movement near the column, made up a separate tension bracket fixed to the head Rescued attachment Alt Bracket2.jpg
Rescued attachment Alt Bracket2.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

James

posted on 31/7/04 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Changing the alternator for a smaller (and lighter!) one is always an option.

A Bedford Rascal alternator was my choice as it's small, light, has the same v belt and is common and cheap at the scrappy.

I made my own bracket up with a piece of 3mm and a bit of the Rascal bracket.

Hope that helps,

James

scoobyis2cool

posted on 1/8/04 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john_p_b

scooby - mine is the one with the solid cast mount bracket. is that the one you had to work around?

Hi John, yes that is the bracket I used, I had to file a chunk out of it so that I could fit a bolt behind but no major mods

Pete

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.