police tractor
police tractor

[Edited on 26/9/10 by graememk]

MakeEverything

posted on 26/9/10 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Could have painted the wheels.....

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

dan8400

posted on 26/9/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen this in the flesh. Total waste of time. I asked the copper what good is it chasing stolen tractors across fields if it is stationed in skegness and someone is stealing a tractor in spalding when the top speed is 50kph????

Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

A1

posted on 26/9/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
surely a bowler wildcat would be better?
seems a waste of our money just to prove that the police force are serious about crime.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 26/9/10 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
they could proove there serious by fighting crime, not telling us about it.
MakeEverything

posted on 26/9/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with all of the comments, but i think that they are trying to show that they are in partnership with rural areas, and trying to show that rural crime is something that they are cracking down on.

Personally, i think that the taxpayers money could have been better used for this, rather than buy a tractor that will do less than 1000 miles per year, have kids crawling all over it (though thats not a problem) and sitting in the police yard rotting for five years before they get rid of it for silly money.

Ive worked with the met on a regular basis, and they have vehicles all over the place, just unused and rotting away.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

hillbillyracer

posted on 26/9/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'd expect John Deere have loaned them the tractor on some sort of deal, it goes to shows etc & gets more of their product on display so I doubt it actually cost much. Good job too because it'd be about £40,000, not good use of budget in a time of cutbacks!
Rural crime is a real problem & we'd like the police to be more active as they do little more than show face but how does this show us they're serious? I think it looks comical!

StevieB

posted on 26/9/10 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillbillyracer
I'd expect John Deere have loaned them the tractor on some sort of deal, it goes to shows etc & gets more of their product on display so I doubt it actually cost much. Good job too because it'd be about £40,000, not good use of budget in a time of cutbacks!
Rural crime is a real problem & we'd like the police to be more active as they do little more than show face but how does this show us they're serious? I think it looks comical!

That's exactly how it works - a lot of manufacturers have been doign this, ever since Volvo started selling loads of T5R's on the back of them being the police high speed car of choice.

Guinness

posted on 26/9/10 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just watching Countryfile, where John Craven has just said that 80% of all tractors / farm machines share a common key!!

hillbillyracer

posted on 26/9/10 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
Just watching Countryfile, where John Craven has just said that 80% of all tractors / farm machines share a common key!!

Yeah for years 90% of the tractors in Britain used a the same Lucas key & you did'nt even need that, a small flat blade screw driver would do it! Failing that most were "pull to stop" so all you had to do was short the starter (right there exposed on the side of the open engine) or tow start it.
When "stop on the key" came out all you needed was 12v to the solenoid on the pump which is also easy to do with it exposed like the starter & it's been like that until very recently.
Only now with ECU controlled engines are they starting to code keys & ECUs & the technology has been on cars of a fraction of the value for 15 years or more!

JoelP

posted on 26/9/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
for the cost of a set of stickers, its a good way to raise awareness of rural theft. Watching John Craven earlier too, he says lots of people dont realise farm machinery is a target for organised criminal gangs.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/5/11 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
faster vintage tractor link

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.