Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Yaham AIS exhaust port
Davey D

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Yaham AIS exhaust port

Im in the middle of doing the AIS removal / breather mod to my 06 5VY engine, and all that is left to do is block the 4x little exhaust ports, and im wondering what everyone uses?

ive had a look on ebay, and found some aluminium inserts for the older engine, but frankly they cost waaay to much for what is 4 tiny bits of metal

i was looking at tapping / fitting a grub screw in each. Looking at sizes it would probably have to be M8 size? Ive got a set of Taps, and a load of M8 Grub screws

im just wondering what the general concensus is of what everyone else does?

ko_racer

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
You can replace the hollow dowles between the head and rocker cover with solid one. I've got the part number somewhere if you need it.

It's listed in the race kit conversion documentation.

Yamaha Part No:

93608-16M16 (You'll need 4)

[Edited on 20/7/09 by ko_racer]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
a4gom

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
I used some metal putty, doesn't look like its ever going to work into anything more than a mess when mixing the 2 parts together but it does eventually and it sets like bell metal.

Mate used some of the stuff you use for bonding windscreens in.

neither of us have had any problems so far.

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

dave107

posted on 20/7/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I tapped mine out, not an easy job cannot get tap holder in hits engine, so i held tap in a pair of pliers to support and turned tap with a spanner, but it did work.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stuart_g

posted on 20/7/09 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I did exactly what you want to do. I tapped the holes with a 1/4" UNF bolt as they were too big to use M6 tap and then loctited in grub screws. Have pictures if you want me to post one up.
Davey D

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g
I did exactly what you want to do. I tapped the holes with a 1/4" UNF bolt as they were too big to use M6 tap and then loctited in grub screws. Have pictures if you want me to post one up.

That would be great if you could

Davey D

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave107
I tapped mine out, not an easy job cannot get tap holder in hits engine, so i held tap in a pair of pliers to support and turned tap with a spanner, but it did work.

i take it you did it in the top ( like im on about) where the ports go in at an angle?

did you tap it out to M8 ?

Gergely

posted on 20/7/09 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, we have hammered some aluminium inserts (rivet-like aluminium nails or something we found...) into the ports on the rocker cover.
Like this:

Modified breather
Modified breather

Gergely

Our build pictures

Davey D

posted on 20/7/09 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
aaah so thats what they are. Ive seen this picture on another thread but i couldnt figure out what youd done to the holes

bassett

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Just wondering does removing the ais reduce power as i read somewhere on the older 5PW the ais and exup are there to increase power?

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Davey D

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bassett
Just wondering does removing the ais reduce power as i read somewhere on the older 5PW the ais and exup are there to increase power?

Nah.. the exup, and AIS are there just for emissions. It is meant to be easier to map an engine with the AIS blocked, as you dont get the extra oxygen being pumped into the exhaust giving different readings with a lambda probe

stuart_g

posted on 21/7/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Here is the pic of the grub screws in position. Rescued attachment P1010283.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010283.JPG

Davey D

posted on 21/7/09 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
looks good stuart!

i had a look at mine last night, and found that my M7 x 1.0 tap did the job perfectly, so ive got some m7 studs on their way to me that im going to cut down, and cut a slot in the top so i can screw them in with a screwdriver, as m7 brub screws dont seem to exist

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.