Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plenum chamber height reduction
Northy

posted on 5/3/03 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
The dissy has no mechanical advance. So what do I do?

Oh, and Webers will set me back ~£500

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 5/3/03 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Piper Tuning Manual says...

length ram pipes in inches = (228xinlet valve timing in degrees) / RPM of max power less 500RPM

The result can be divided by 3 or 5 to accomodate the ram pipes. the length of the ram pipes is from the valve head to the trumpet end.

The clearance from the end of the trumpet to its opposite face in the air box must not be less than the bore of the choke.

Now, does anyone know the inlet valve timing for a 2.0i Pinto????????????

Calculator in sweaty palm poised for action!!

CairB

posted on 5/3/03 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
According to Haynes - Inlet:
opens 24deg BTDC
closes 64deg ABDC
gives a duration of 268 deg.

I think that my Kent FR34 is about 263 duration.

Press them keys

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/3/03 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
11.11" assuming max power rpm of 6000, the standard sierra one looks much longer, but divided by 3 would give 3.7" Seems very short to me - what does the panel think?
CairB

posted on 5/3/03 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I suggest that you follow your nose, take your pick and make something to regulate and get the charge into the engine. I did, it works to a reasonable extent with good drivability, not bad acceleration and nearly 30mpg to boot when given some hammer. If you don't like the result you can always pond it and try the MKII. During my build I found that I could spend a lot of time pondering and with the aid of my son saying is that all you've done this week I'd get the drift and get on with it.

By the way, whichever way you choose I bet you get half way through and convince yourself that the other way was better.

I wasn't sure that the injection and ignition mapping would be OK but it seems to be. Thats why I'm looking at fitting an O2 sensor to see if thers any more to be had my changing the mapping.

Good luck with it - whichever way you go.

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/3/03 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger the calculator, going to make my own throttle chamber and make the rams as long as they will go without sticking out of the side of the car!
Northy

posted on 6/3/03 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Mark,

You MUST post pictures! It sounds like a fine plan to me

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 6/3/03 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Mark,

You MUST post pictures! It sounds like a fine plan to me

Graham

rgv_stu

posted on 6/3/03 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
dissy off a 1600 carb is what you want for webers.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65621

what about one of these manifolds ?? see thread / link above

Northy

posted on 6/3/03 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Which way up does the lexmaul one go? I need to deduce the height of mine.

The one half way down the page looks interesting.

Thanks

Graham

fastenuff

posted on 6/3/03 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have a doc from this site (www.sdsefi.com/techinta.htm) which shows a home made EFI system, take a look and do whatever. (yes i do spend to much time online, I admit. suspension design is waiting)

Ingmar

Northy

posted on 10/3/03 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Progress?

Mark,

Any progress yet?

Graham

eddymcclements

posted on 11/3/03 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I've just finished my plenum chamber. I based it on the original Toyota design, but lowered it to fit under the bonnet. It's made from four 90-degree exhaust manifold bends for the inlet runners, a length of 3" pipe for the main plenum body and a 10mm plasma cut flange (drawn around a stock inlet manifold gasket and plasma-cut & ground to shape).

Pictures are here and here

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.