Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carlton gearbox vs type 9
Steve Lovelock

posted on 30/5/06 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Carlton gearbox vs type 9

I am thinking of a Carlton gearbox to mate to a Vauxhall 16V instead of the usual type 9 route taken by most people. I understand that it is lighter but want to know:

How do the gear ratios compare?
How do the they compare for strength?
Any other challenges?

Cheers

ned

posted on 30/5/06 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
nsdev will tell you but i gather they suffer from lack of upgrade bits that are readily available for the type 9 and do eventually break (so i'm told)

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 30/5/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
If it doesn't break in a Carlton it's hardly going to in a locost unless you're planning on permanent burnouts!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
NS Dev

posted on 31/5/06 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Having had some experience on this one........

The carlton box is "similar" in terms of strength to the type 9, certainly not weaker. I have broken a similar number of both boxes.

Broke 3 carlton/manta ones in a 16v manta, but as was pointed out, the locost is a lot lighter so should be no problem in that.

The carlton box is a much better design than the type 9 but NO upgrade bits are available, even service bits are tricky, if something breaks in it you really need another one.

To sum up, in a locost, if you are going to compete then go for the type 9 so you can upgrade. For road use it matters not which one you pick.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Steve Lovelock

posted on 31/5/06 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
It is actually an Omega box if that makes any difference?

How easy will it be to fabricate the gear leaver set up?

NS Dev

posted on 31/5/06 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
depends what fabrication facilities you have, but it's not a problem, basically a carrier bolted to the back of the 'box with a spherical bearing in it to hold the lever, and a clevis arrangement on the bottom of the lever with a link rod to the shifter coupling.

not something to worry about at all, I'm sure I or somebody else on here can help if there's a problem.

omega box is no prob

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.