Board logo

Opinions - cooling
DaveFJ - 26/9/07 at 10:15 AM

OK here is my latest piccy...

Rad and oil cooler
Rad and oil cooler

My question is this: Do you think I need to put a valve at the highest point of the coolant hose to allow me to remove trapped air?

And whilst i am at it... If I connect the small inlet from the pump to the bottom connection on the header tank where does the top connection on the header tank go to?

cheers

RazMan - 26/9/07 at 10:20 AM

If you fit a bleed hose in the highest point, you run it back to the top connector on the header - constant bleeding that way.

DaveFJ - 26/9/07 at 10:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
If you fit a bleed hose in the highest point, you run it back to the top connector on the header - constant bleeding that way.

Would that need to be a narrow tube or have some sort of restrictor in it?

cheers

RazMan - 26/9/07 at 10:25 AM

I was just about to add that - you don't need much more than 2-3mm. It will obviously circulate some water with the air so just keep it as small as possible.

lsdweb - 26/9/07 at 12:08 PM

As Raz says! But try and make sure that the highest point is where this bleed hose enters the header tank. Your top hose looks quite high in the photo.

Wyn

DaveFJ - 26/9/07 at 03:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
As Raz says! But try and make sure that the highest point is where this bleed hose enters the header tank. Your top hose looks quite high in the photo.

Wyn

Nothing I can do about that.. the thermostat housing on the Pinto is higher than the rad and also points upwards!......

there is no overflow connection on the rad so I thought at the highest point of the top hose should be ok and should be JUST lower than the top connection on the header tank....

Avoneer - 26/9/07 at 04:24 PM

As above, use a thin pipe, but make sure where it enters the header tank, it's the highest point.

I used some vulcoflex tube stuff from Halfords for the main pipe and managed to get it lower than the header tank:

Pat...

Avoneer - 26/9/07 at 04:25 PM

I see Tiger are continuing there trend for front shockers that don't fit despite telling them.

Are they on the bump stops in your pic?

Pat...

DaveFJ - 26/9/07 at 04:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
I see Tiger are continuing there trend for front shockers that don't fit despite telling them.

Are they on the bump stops in your pic?

Pat...

just whacked them on for now.. the platforms are wound up so they just press on the springs. I figured i could adjust all that later when It's properly built (before driving obviously)...