Board logo

Expected 0-60
ash_hammond - 18/6/07 at 10:11 AM

Any one give me a rough guide of what 0-60, top speed and BHP to expect out of the following 7.

Pinto 2.0 (rebuild with almost all new internals)
Piper 285 cam, Twin Dellerto 40's, Electronic Ignition (Fast Road Setting on the Electronic Amp) Diff is out of a J Plate 1.8 Sierra. Type 9 5 Speed Box.

I am sure i should of asked this question before i started building. :-)

Cheers

Ash

andyharding - 18/6/07 at 10:22 AM

Quick enought to scare you

gingerprince - 18/6/07 at 10:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
Quick enought to scare you

<ducks for cover>but not as quick as a BEC </ducks for cover>

zxrlocost - 18/6/07 at 10:40 AM

about 5 and a half to 6 and a half seconds to 60 as for top speed I presume it will start to slow down at 120mph but trickle on for perhaps another 15mph so 135

andyharding - 18/6/07 at 10:41 AM

No that's probably fair to say at that level of tune.

andyharding - 18/6/07 at 10:41 AM

No idea what my top end is but I can hit 60 in less than 4.5secs

zxrlocost - 18/6/07 at 10:57 AM

hows that been timed andy

graememk - 18/6/07 at 11:06 AM

I wont go above 90mph in mine as its just not comforable at that speed.

my 0-60 is about 5-6 seconds with a 1.8 turbo, the problem i have is traction.

[Edited on 18/6/07 by graememk]

cadebytiger - 18/6/07 at 11:34 AM

I would guess my pinto cat is around the 6 mark.

Thats on weber 45s and fr32 cam.

NS Dev - 18/6/07 at 11:48 AM

Under 4 secs with my VX XE engine (just over 200hp), need to time it properly with datron but deffo sub 4 secs.

traction not a problem on yoko a048r's on 14" wheels and soft rear springs.

[Edited on 18/6/07 by NS Dev]

andyharding - 18/6/07 at 11:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost

Racing a VX 2wotsit turbo that does 0-60 in 4.7 and I beat him

nick205 - 18/6/07 at 12:02 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost

Racing a VX 2wotsit turbo that does 0-60 in 4.7 and I beat him

....how was he timing it?

NS Dev - 18/6/07 at 12:04 PM

lol

Really must get on and time mine. I think I am heading to a rwyb in the near future, but one of the issues is transmission parts failing!

I thought the lack of traction associated with 7 type cars would save the transmission, but I don't seem to suffer from the expected levels of wheelspin!

So far its 1 x 100mm "lobro type" CV joint failure (brand new one) but I fear the gearbox could be the next bit to start crying

andyharding - 18/6/07 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Best ask Vauxhall - it's their published figure.

andyharding - 18/6/07 at 12:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
lol

Really must get on and time mine. I think I am heading to a rwyb in the near future, but one of the issues is transmission parts failing!

I thought the lack of traction associated with 7 type cars would save the transmission, but I don't seem to suffer from the expected levels of wheelspin!

So far its 1 x 100mm "lobro type" CV joint failure (brand new one) but I fear the gearbox could be the next bit to start crying

Although they haven't gotten to the point of failing (replaced first) I've killed a diff and a type9 in a year.

ash_hammond - 18/6/07 at 12:10 PM

135 MPH i somthing i built

cadebytiger - 18/6/07 at 01:20 PM

feck me. What have you done to this pinto to make it such a monster! I want the same done to mine! lol

Rupert

quote:
quote:
lol

Although they haven't gotten to the point of failing (replaced first) I've killed a diff and a type9 in a year.

cadebytiger - 18/6/07 at 01:23 PM

feck me. What have you done to this pinto to make it such a monster! I want the same done to mine! lol

Rupert

quote:
quote:
lol

andyharding - 18/6/07 at 01:26 PM

Polished crank
ARP rod bolts
Oversize pistons and rebore
Head skimmed for 11:1 compression
Big stainless valves
3 angle valve seats
Full port and polish
Piper 285 cam
Vernier
High flow/pressure oil pump
R1 bike carbs
4kg flywheel

Head showing valves
Head showing valves

Inlet porting
Inlet porting

Finished motor
Finished motor

[Edited on 18/6/07 by andyharding]

cadebytiger - 18/6/07 at 02:26 PM

very nice! Where did you get that done?

Do you mind me asking how much it all cost. cannot think for one minute it was cheap!

andyharding - 18/6/07 at 02:31 PM

Probably cost about £1500-2000 for the parts.

A friend did the head work and I did the final assembly.

P.S. I don't keep track of the cost cause it would scare me!

[Edited on 18/6/07 by andyharding]

cadebytiger - 18/6/07 at 02:32 PM

great! Sounds like you have a monster

Tiger Super Six - 18/6/07 at 04:13 PM

Is that a standard type 9 box?

I am amazed you can get sub 5 seconds with a pinto?

andyharding - 18/6/07 at 04:17 PM

Yes although I'm thinking of getting a beefed up one soon.

Tiger Super Six - 18/6/07 at 04:45 PM

How do you manage the gears - I found that 1st is so short you need to use third to get to 60.

I could get to 60 in second if I reved the nuts off it, but then 1st and 2nd gears are so different the syncro mesh won't let you into 2 until the rev's drop and then you lose more time.

Mine was a standard Pinto and was around 6.5-7.0 sec's, really impressed if a Pinto can be tuned to lose 2 sec's from this.

Mark.

andyharding - 18/6/07 at 04:55 PM

I'm just in the middle a some diff work.

When I had the VX I had a 3.92 in. Redline is 7000RPM and 1st gear was useless. Could miss out 1st and nearly get 60 in 2nd.

With the 3.62 in I will nearly get 70 in 2nd and probably still won't need 1st.

ChrisGamlin - 18/6/07 at 05:03 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Best ask Vauxhall - it's their published figure.

No offence Andy but you're making a very big assumption here that the driver of the VX220 Turbo managed to match the claimed 0-60 time on the partular run when you raced him......

andyharding - 18/6/07 at 05:05 PM

True enough. When the new diff is in I'll try and do a timed run.

NS Dev - 18/6/07 at 05:09 PM

I have a 3.62 diff and as far as I know a std type 9 box, and according to the speedo (which according to the SVA rollers was zero error at 90 mph) I can easily top 70 in second gear, though I do have 7500 revs available (but then I imagine you won't be far short of that with the pinto)

1st is easily useable as well

Hellfire - 18/6/07 at 06:14 PM

The only person I know that has done an actual timed 0-60mph run on here is Al (Wadders).

IIRC he achieved 0-60mph in 4.98 secs with a ZX9R engine fitted and went on to do the quarter mile in 13.524 seconds with a terminal of 100.68mph

Al's 13.524 secs compares with a quarter mile run we did at 12.523, therefore surely we must have done 0-60 in at least 3.98 seconds

Phil

NS Dev - 18/6/07 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
Sorry guy's but what a load of bull5hit, before convincing someone about the performance of your car, get some proper data to prove it,
the fact your mate timed you on his mobile, or you've done it on your digidash, or you beat a car that can do it in 1 nano second, is a load of ****

when you've got some real proof you car is that fast, then post it up.

hearsay's one thing but facts are another.

so in reply to the original question, i'm not too sure but from what i've seen similar spec'd cars can do the 1/4 in around 14.5-15 secs and terminal at around 90mph.

so at a guess, i'd say realistically your looking at around 6-8 seconds to 60mph

also while where on the subject, i've yet to see a standard bec get there in 4 secs and they only terminal 1/4 at around 95-110mph and thats in 12-14 seconds.

only official figures i've got to compare is 0-91.78mph in 7.736 seconds, thats was with the last indy i had

Chris

technically you are probably right, but I have yet to time my car as I have had no spare time in which to do it (love the irony of that one!! )

I totally agree on the stopwatch thing as well, you can time it a second either way doing it like that!

I have however been in a large number of sub 4 sec and sub 3 sec 0-60 cars which did have timing gear on, for a large number of runs, and 1/4 miles (and I know what times my old grasser ran with the same engine, and that was sub 5 sec on wet soil! )
so i do know what sort of performance is being generated when I sit in a car.

I would be disappointed if my locost does not run low 12's or high 11's on the 1/4 mile, and I am aiming for an 11.8 lets see how it goes later this year..................................................................

the following are pretty well proven relationships (bear in mind weights are in lb)

I know its all theoretical, but it gives something to aim for at the track, and if you do the maths, my locost is 1210lb, and 204hp, this "should" yield a mid 11 1/4, 0-60 in 3.5 to 4 secs, so i think my aims are justified.

PS the data in the graphs iis from actual experiment with real vehicles

ChrisGamlin - 18/6/07 at 09:17 PM

Im not sure what Chris got with his S2000 Indy but the best Ive seen from a normally aspirated BEC is a 175bhp ZX12 Locost doing mid 12's at 115mph, so I would have thought to get into the mid 11s is going to need more than 200bhp with the weight / gearbox disadvantage of a car engine, and/or maybe sticky slicks. Could be wrong though.

JoelP - 18/6/07 at 09:39 PM

quote:
for some reason your pics/graphs aren't displaying for me

Chris

copy the url of each picture into the main brower box, to view each individually. When cached they then display properly here. Makes interesting viewing so its worth the effort!

NS Dev - 18/6/07 at 10:02 PM

quote:
Hi Nat, it wasn't aimed at you the previous post, it was just a general post regarding the wild claims people make on forums.
i would say low 12's would be acheivable with your car, then again given the right condition maybe less!! fancy the drag day at York

best i ever managed was 12.1 in the s2000 111mph terminal, i almost run a good 11's until i backed off at the wrong timing beam (1/8 instead of 1/4, note to self never look across at the opposition)
still managed to run a 12.1 that time.

for some reason your pics/graphs aren't displaying for me

Chris

That's quite alright Chris!

I remember a mate of mine attempting to time a pinto westfield using a stopwatch, and it did anything from 5.5 to 7.5 secs to 60 depending on whether you wanted it to be a quick run or not!!!

Proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I'd certainly be happy enough with low 12 sec 1/4 miles. I haven't done many full bore standing starts in my car yet, plently of 5-60 runs but not many 0-60 ones, and I know just how the time ebbs away to get that first few mph!!!

When I have done a few more road miles so i can stand breaking something again I'll look at doing a rwyb and we'll see what it does!

Have to say I am used to the power now and could do with some more!!

ChrisGamlin - 19/6/07 at 07:13 AM

Just had a look at those graphs above which are interesting. There are a couple of factors they don't take into consideration though which may be a bigger factor for a seven than most, which are aerodynamic drag and outright power.

I suspect most of those figures are taken from fast road / drag cars in the states which maybe have 3-500bhp but weight over a ton. Having 300bhp/ton in a 1ton car will give different acceleration characteristics to having 300bhp/ton in a half ton car because at higher speeds, particularly with barn-door aero, outright power has more of an influence on acceleration than power to weight.

I suspect that most sevens will perform slower 1/4 mile times than predicted by their power/weight and/or 0-60 time, because by the time we hit 90-100, the combination of low outright power and brick-like aerodynamic properties are already having a big effect on the rate of acceleration, whereas if you were in a comparatively slippery road car with say 500bhp that weighed 1.5ton, you'd still be accelerating almost as hard as you were at 50mph.

Chris