Board logo

Pesky little letters! - Unleaded Pinto?
SALAD - 10/2/06 at 06:34 PM

I've searched the archives, which as usual has helped, but.....does anyone have a photo of the L,P,PP,R or RR on their head, (I wonder who's going to be the first to post the obvious photo?!) as so far they have eluded me on both my pinto's.

I have been told that the one I got today is unleaded (I think it was out of an H reg ('91?)) but even after some grime removal I can't catch a glimpse of those pesky little letters!

TheKingofBling - 10/2/06 at 08:55 PM

Hi Salad,

The numbers you are looking for are normally stamped behind no 4 spark plug on the bottom corner of the head.

You will be able to tell the year of the engine by the first 2 letters of the engine number, there is something about this in the front of the burton power catalogue.

stevebubs - 10/2/06 at 11:04 PM

http://www.sylva.co.uk/technical/engine.htm

Dusty - 10/2/06 at 11:49 PM

This. Rescued attachment headstamp.jpg
Rescued attachment headstamp.jpg

SALAD - 12/2/06 at 12:26 AM

Thanks for that guys, I hope under the grime a letter will be lurking! I have my doubts, but we will see.....hopefully!
Otherwise it's going back......so it must have one of those letters otherwise it's not unleaded then?

(No one did the 'obvious photo'!)

andyharding - 12/2/06 at 03:40 PM

My engine man says he has thrashed a leaded head for 60K miles on unleaded and there was no damage to the seats.

SALAD - 12/2/06 at 11:45 PM

It's all good, I found the pesky blighter! Wasn't easy to see but there is definately a P......or an R!

Thank you all.