Board logo

3D scanning and Machining Service Suggestions
JimSpencer - 3/10/24 at 09:13 AM

Hi All

Need aiming in the right direction..

Got a dry sump system that uses a side mounted oil pump - VW ABF 16v engine - and the adapter plate that goes between Pump and the block is a unicorn!
(apparently a batch of circa 10 were made, in Germany, back in the 90's, of which mine is one, they are unavailable)

The one I have I would like replicating a few times, hence need to find somebody who can do it, as it's quite a complicated shape I think a 3D scan and then it CNC'd from a block of Ally would be the solution.

Anybody any ideas who supplies such a service?

Or - alternative ideas to the above!

Sarah - 4/10/24 at 08:07 PM

Might be worth getting in touch with RetroPower as they do a lot of 3D scanning (watch their YouTube channel) and I'm sure can machine things from those scans.

JimSpencer - 7/10/24 at 06:58 AM

Thanks, will do

coyoteboy - 8/10/24 at 09:10 PM

I have a couple of 3D scanners and can scan, but it would be on a hobby basis, I have a full time job doing other stuff 🤣. I dare say it might be better to measure and reverse rather than scan unless you,think there is critical surface geometry that needs to be extracted? Happy to give it a go free of charge if you donate a beer when you make your millions.

[Edited on 8/10/2024 by coyoteboy]

GaryM - 11/10/24 at 08:35 AM

Hi Jim

I have a good friend that has the kit and know-how to carry out that sort of work.
PM me you would like his contact details?

Gary

pigeondave - 14/10/24 at 04:14 PM

Check out the making for Motorsport guy on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/imGrla3b3Mo?si=tuhsXJUGA9u7Ed2n

I don't think it's as easy as scanning it in, there's still quite a bit of post tweaking needed.

Please let us know how you get on.

coyoteboy - 14/10/24 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pigeondave
Check out the making for Motorsport guy on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/imGrla3b3Mo?si=tuhsXJUGA9u7Ed2n

I don't think it's as easy as scanning it in, there's still quite a bit of post tweaking needed.

Please let us know how you get on.

You're absolutely right, it takes a decent priced CAD license and a lot of experience. Even as a 2 decade CAD user, it still took me a good year to get good at properly identifying features in the mesh they generate.