Board logo

Cheap(Yorkshireman) concentric clutch slave cylinder
Trev Borg - 15/1/05 at 09:27 PM

Ok, nearly finished the new and improved type 9 to alfa V6 belly-housing, and want to furbish it with concentric slave cylinder.

But which one ?

Cheap and easy to get hold of.

Ford ? Saab ?

someone point me in the right direction please

DEAN C. - 16/1/05 at 12:03 AM

SAAB! If you contact Rob Lane he can give you an exact price as he bought one last week for under £30 new.(copy)
Look in my archive for pics of Saab unit fitted to my Toyota box.
DEAN.......

907 - 16/1/05 at 07:28 AM

Hi Trev,

Not sure if this is of any help but here's a pic of the Ford one I used.
I don't know how much they cost as I bought it from a bloke who was
going to fit it to his rally car (Mexico), but decided it was to much work.
It has a flat bearing face so needs to fit onto a clutch with curved fingers,
but I'v got over this by the use of a bronze insert.
The inner back face of the bellhousing needed machining to give a flat face,
and spacers made to position it the right distance from the clutch.
It's a Getrag box, Mondeo slave, onto a 907 Lotus clutch plate & engine.

I hope this is of some help.

ATB Paul G Rescued attachment Con clutch s.jpg
Rescued attachment Con clutch s.jpg

andylancaster3000 - 16/1/05 at 01:53 PM

Just found some notes on a previous car build, the Saab unit to use is from the 99 and 900 series.

Hope this is of any help,

Andy

[Edited on 16/1/05 by andylancaster3000]

Trev Borg - 19/1/05 at 09:30 PM

ok got myself a nice mondeo one from ye olde robbing breakers (£10).

Problem is the shaft on the type 9 is about 34mm, an't 'ole int middla slave cylinder is about 28mm

Bugger

anyone know how big the Saab one is ?

or what slave cylinder W*******D use for there type 9 conversion ?

I am glad i didn't pay a lot of money for it.

anyone want one ?

DEAN C. - 20/1/05 at 02:19 AM

I just remembered why I didn't use the the ford unit I had been given to try,Oh yes,it wasn't big enough in the centre!
Thats why I said to use the SAAB one.
Sorry Trev!I new there was a reason ,especially as I had both the zetec unit to try and a Saab unit.

I have used the Saab 9000 unit,I think the old 99 unit is the same but shorter,that is the one Rob has just bought.I think his is about 9mm shorter.
I'll can give you some exact dimensions in the morning when I will measure them both up as I'm making a couple of adapter plates, a second one for myself and another for Rob lanes Gemini.
All the best , DEAN..

Trev Borg - 20/1/05 at 07:38 AM

i had a quick look onsome sites last night and the info coming back was that the saab one still may be too small

NS Dev - 20/1/05 at 09:07 AM

I am using the saab 900 release bearing with a type 9 'box, it fots no problem.

If you go on to the AP Racing website, and look at their slave cyls, they have full drawings as PDF's and one of their cyls is a direct copy of the saab one (they say which one on there)

If you go to your local parts centre and ask for 1988 saab 900 slave cyl you will get the right one and it is £30-£40. You can buy adaptors to fit it to the type 9 gearbox, or make one yourself from a big lump of ally, this is what I am doing. You replace the "trumpet housing" on the front of the ford box with the lump of ally, drilled to suit the 4 bolt fixing, and you need to counterbore the back of the ally to take the input shaft oil seal.

NS Dev - 20/1/05 at 09:09 AM

it fits, not fots!

CairB - 20/1/05 at 12:56 PM

Trevborg,

The concentric clutch slave cylinder that I am using is similar to the one from Burtonpower. It mounts onto an aluminium adaptor that I had to modify. I have used the type 9 front oil seal housing, but cut off the tube that was there to locate the thrust release bearing assembly.

Is that the diameter that you are struggling to clear with the 28mm ID?

Burtonpowers web site show adaptor flanges.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Colin

NS Dev - 20/1/05 at 02:40 PM

normally the adaptor replaces the oil seal housing (trumpet housing) completely, and the oil seal fits into the back of the adaptor. The assembly sold by burton is the saab one (or the AP derivative) if I remember correctly.

Trev Borg - 20/1/05 at 06:09 PM

Ok I'm starting to understand the working of these slave cylinder thingys now.

'Trumpet housing' thats the blasted problem area.

I never knew you could take that bit off

I think I may just take it off and skim the bugger a wee bit. Make an adaptor and Bob's your aunty's husband.

Or is that a bad idea ?

Should i just replace the whole troblesome trumpet ?

[Edited on 20/1/2005 by Trev Borg]

NS Dev - 21/1/05 at 07:06 PM

I will be removing the "trumpet housing" (just undo the 4 bolts holding it on and pull it off!) and replacing it with the ally spacer which mounts the cylinder. Just machine/get machined, the back of the ally spacer to match the machining on the back of the trumpet housing.

Trev Borg - 21/1/05 at 08:39 PM

sounds like a good plan

Findlay234 - 23/1/05 at 11:20 AM

did anyone find out where rob got his from?? the best price ive seen for a 900 one is 45 but that does include p&p

britishtrident - 23/1/05 at 12:27 PM

"partsforsaabs" are just a bit under 40ukp all include. --- Of course that dosen't include the release bearing
Euro Car Parts also car the cylinder a a reasonable price and have loads of branches."

Trev Borg - 23/1/05 at 01:25 PM

parts

[Edited on 23/1/2005 by Trev Borg]

owelly - 31/1/05 at 09:57 PM

You see trevski.....?

[Edited on 31/1/05 by owelly]

owelly - 31/1/05 at 10:16 PM

Hmmmmmmm? Try this then.....!

Trev Borg - 1/2/05 at 03:15 PM

Whats the ugly thing bloking the picture of the Dell keyboard then ?

Peteff - 1/2/05 at 07:13 PM

It looks like one of those things you press down and wait. It jumps up after the suction breaks. They usually have a funny head on them though. "Time for bed" said Zebede, "You'll be lucky", said Florence.

owelly - 4/4/05 at 02:51 PM

Still need to fit a 'rounded' CRB to the Ford Slave cylinder. Any suggestions??

owelly - 5/4/05 at 10:21 PM

Think bell housing!!!!
3ltr V6 Alfa to T9 Ford

NS Dev - 6/4/05 at 07:09 AM

I have a similar concern. I am using a Vauxhall pressure plate (which has rounded spring fingers) and I think the Saab clutch release bearing is rounded too, which means round on round, not normally the way it's done, but I think I may do it anyway and see what happens!

owelly - 6/4/05 at 06:50 PM

I'll try a Saab slave. Which one is it I need? I'll have a tip to the scrappy tmorra!!!

owelly - 6/4/05 at 08:10 PM

Right. I'll get one from a 99 or 900 and see what happens!!!!

NS Dev - 7/4/05 at 07:13 AM

Use one from a post 1983 saab 900.

best to forget the scrappy to be honest. For the sake of a new one at £40. The scrappy will probably want a tenner and they tend to start leaking if they have been stood for ages.

owelly - 7/4/05 at 12:40 PM

£40!!! The whole donor/kit/project hasn't cost that much. Almost

Trev Borg - 7/4/05 at 09:49 PM

YOU TIGHT BASTARD

Trev Borg - 7/4/05 at 09:52 PM

Thats a nice bellhousing BTW.

Do you know where i can buy such an item.

From the untrained eye it looks like an alfa to ford Type 9 short shaft. Do they do one for the long shaft gboxes too!!!!!!!!!!

Its very white (thats light grey to you)

[Edited on 7/4/2005 by Trev Borg]

owelly - 8/4/05 at 02:31 PM

Certainly Mr Borshge,
You can buy the aforementioned bell housing fron a shop near Pickering in NorthYorkshire. The shp is called Fylingdales I think. The bell housing are about £13 each if I remember correctly.
Although they did get the colour wrong. I askd for 'appliance white' but got Volvo white