Board logo

Dip stick
Markp - 5/9/04 at 12:03 PM

Could anyone with a 1600 xcross flow please provide me with the number on the bottom of there dip stick (strange request I know) normally 711m ---------.

I have a small doubt in my mind which needs to be put to right.

Thanks in advance

Mark

zilspeed - 5/9/04 at 12:23 PM

I'll check mine when I go out in a little while.

My car hasn't been moved in about 3 weeks - hardly an eternity - and when I went out yesterday, the clutch is refusing to operate. Pedal moves fine, but the clutch doesn't disengage

Tried all the usual tricks - starting it in gear with the pedal down - no dice.
Running it on axle stands for 20 mins with the pedal down - no dice.

It's been sitting over night with the pedal down. If this hasn't worked it'll be kangarooing up and down the street as a 2nd last resort. Failing that it's engine out time.

Anyway - I'll be out there shortly and will check the dipstick for you.

zilspeed - 5/9/04 at 12:55 PM

The number on the end of the dipstick is.

751M6750BA

And my clutch is still f***ing stuck

Markp - 5/9/04 at 01:50 PM

Sorry to hear about the clutch

Thanks for the info, do you have the 1600 711m block?

thanks again

mark

zilspeed - 5/9/04 at 02:36 PM

Yep

711M block - 1640cc.

I'm waiting till the street is quite tomorrow and I will take it for a kangaroo up the street in 1st gear.
That should surely do it.....

andyps - 5/9/04 at 04:47 PM

Zilspeed - make sure you try braking with the clutch pressed down fully - that often works if the kangarooing doesn't!

When it's freed, make a piece of wood to hold the clutch down when you aren't using the car - I have always found that once they stick, they keep on doing it.

Peteff - 5/9/04 at 05:02 PM

That's how I knocked my bike through the shed door . It did free the clutch though.

Mark Allanson - 5/9/04 at 06:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
The number on the end of the dipstick is.

751M6750BA

And my clutch is still f***ing stuck

Back of the car on axle stands, put in 4th, rev to 5000rpm, press all three pedals down at once - never fails

rusty nuts - 5/9/04 at 08:21 PM

May be worth a squirt of WD40 onto the clutch through bell housing , should burn off as soon as clutch is used. Try Marks advice safer than trying to free it off on the road, best of luck, Rusty.

dave1888 - 5/9/04 at 08:28 PM

Try this clutch release tool 1a Rescued attachment DSC_0196.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC_0196.JPG

zilspeed - 5/9/04 at 09:54 PM

Hey

That's like a hammer - - only Wee'err

Used to know a brickie that had a 14lb hammer with a 9 inch long shaft on it. The man was a monster.

I'm a bit feart about the 5000 rpm in top concept - it scares the Tom Kite out of me just thinking about it.

johnemms - 6/9/04 at 03:29 PM

Drill a small hole in bell housing, get someone to press down the pedal and inset a screwdriver blade or similar object to prise the centre plate free of the flywheel.... hole ready for the next time it sticks........

johnemms - 6/9/04 at 03:33 PM

Oh yeah.. number on dipstick.. 1980's 1600 xflow 751M6750BA...

whats it mean? anything special?

johnemms - 6/9/04 at 03:39 PM

sorry to bang on...

It has a metal collar to stop it going all the way into the engine, from the metal collar down it measures:

collar to max :6.75 inches
collar to min :7.50 inches
collar to end :8.50 inches

this is a stock 711m engine and original stick ... all the best...

Markp - 6/9/04 at 09:15 PM

Thanks johnemms

The 1300 engine I have has that number on and the 1600 I have has CA instead of BA, I was originally thinking that the end two digits were the last two digits on the engine block. Thanks for clearing it up.

zilspeed
hows the clutch?

Mark.

[Edited on 6/9/04 by Markp]

zilspeed - 7/9/04 at 04:26 PM

Clutch freeing technique involved axle stands, 2nd gear, full throttle and brake application. So that's all three pedals in various doses.

It works now though :-)
Sounded sweet with the webers wide open in a stationary vehicle. The neighbours are verrry impressed...