Board logo

Lathe motor wiring help
bonzoronnie - 10/8/11 at 12:33 PM

Hi all

Any industrial electricians in the house ?

Having decided to move my old Harrison L5 lathe to a more suitable location in my workshop, I have taken the opportunity to give the lathe a full re-paint & light re-furb ( God knows it needs it )

As part of the re-furb I thought that I would replace the Heath Robbinson 1/4 hp single phase motor that was on the machine when I bought it.

Now it just happens that I have a large good quality 1.5 hp single phase motor going spare, part of my late fathers kit & was a spare for his milling machine.
A huge bonus is that it is a direct fit to the lathes existing motor mount.

I am no stranger to a little domestic wiring & have wired up the odd motor or Two over the years but I am in the dark on this one, hampered further by the lack of manfacturers wiring diagram.

Heres what I would like to achieve, Wire up the motor, DOL starter & lathe reverse switch ( Dewhurst type A )

No idea if my goals are even achiveable with this particular motor !!??

Here is a picture of the motors terminal connections

The information on the motors data plate is as follows:

Stayrite single phase ac motor
HP: 1.5
RPM: 1430
Volts: 2**/240 ( * Dink in plate & can't read the numbers )
C/S: 50
Rating: Cont
Amps: 9.5
Class E

Single capacitor motor ( Cap is wired to A2 & Z1 )

Here is what I can make out from the faded diagram on the back of the connector cover.

Single phase capacitor motor
Motor to be operated from a potential relay starter
T1 & T2 are the ****at leads ( * Can't read the letters )

Hopefully the photo shows the terminal markings clearly, if not they are marked T1 & T2, A1 & A2, Z1 & Z2

I was told that a Potential relay starter is also know as a DOL ( Direct online starter )

This was purchaced from an online retailer

Alas, no wiring diagram for this either

No idea where the loose ends of the wires go ??

One is wired to terminal 5 ( L3 ) of the relay & the other is wired to terminal 14 ( NO ) of the relay

No idea where the short link wire wire should go.

Would I be right in assuming that terminals 1( L1 ) & 3(L2 ) of the relay are the incoming mains live & neutral and that terminals 2(T1) & 4(T2) of the thermal overload unit are the outgoing live & neutral to the motor ??

I am sure that it is not going to be so simple that terminals T1 & T2 of the DOL just go the terminals T1 & T2 of the motor, that would be just too ironic wouldn't it

It goes without saying that I will make sure that all of the earth connections are properly made to provide continuity

Any help would be most appreciated.

Got a sneaky felling that if I have to call a suitably qualified industrial electrcian in to wire it all up it is likely to be more cost effective to just go out & buy a new Cap start/Cap run motor .

Thanks for taking the time to read this folks

bonzoronnie - 10/8/11 at 12:53 PM

I thought I best post a wiring diagram of my reverse switch

As said, I would be most obliged for any assistance

Myke 2463 - 10/8/11 at 02:07 PM

You have email.

907 - 10/8/11 at 02:53 PM

I'm not an electrician but I did wire a motor to reverse on my rolls.

Search for thread "Large 240v electric motors" by 907.

Cheers,
Paul G

A pic from the thread.
motor reverse direction
motor reverse direction

bonzoronnie - 11/8/11 at 03:41 PM

Thanks chaps

Mike

Thank you for that info on the DOL starter, I spent ages searching the internet for such information that I could understand.

Paul

Thank you for the link to that thread.

I must say, you have done a smashing job of that set of slip rolls
Those safety guards are a work of art.

A stretcher/shrinker is on my to buy list, swiftly followed by an English wheel .... well once I get my workshop a little more organised

I do have a couple of motor rewinders within a 20 mile radius, I may take the whole shooting match for a ride to see if they will tag all of the terminals for me.

Don't hold out a lot of hope though, what with all of the health & safety malarkey that exists nowadays

Once again, thanks for the input chaps

907 - 12/8/11 at 06:27 AM

Thanks for the complements on the rolls.

I will soon have another project on the go. This time converting 3ph to a 1ph motor.
(I pick up a two post lift on Saturday)

I think another email to electricmotorman will be needed.

The confusing bit for me is the tags they give the contacts in the motors.
Some marked A's, T's & Z's while others marked U's, V's & Z's

Why isn't there a universal marking system? or would that be too easy?

Cheers,
Paul G

rusty nuts - 12/8/11 at 07:12 AM

I was lucky when I converted my old to , I worked a couple of doors away from a motor rewinding company . Just took the motor and switch in and they wired it up for me , best bit they didn't charge me