Board logo

The 1985 - 1700 x flow!
johnemms - 31/7/07 at 06:43 PM

autocar 1985

link..

keeps u keen ... and only a 4 speed box

ditchlewis - 1/8/07 at 07:39 AM

i actually remember reading that article and drooling over it still a nice piece of kit.

ditch

scudracer - 1/8/07 at 08:17 AM

Anyone here using Kent XFlows? Is it true that it's costly to rebuild?

thunderace - 1/8/07 at 09:07 AM

yes its costly to rebuild and get aftermarket parts i must have spent well over £1000 on parts to fully rebuild my xflow engine thats evrything ,cam waterpump starter cluch steel posts pistons rebore twin 40s inlet manafold k&N filters gaskets fuel pump aldon dizzy race plugs ht leads cam reground and new shells alternator paint jets chokes choped down sump im sure i missed loads of bits like core plugs but the engine was from 1972 so i had to replace evry thing as it was to old to just leave it . Rescued attachment DSCF1154.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF1154.JPG

gazza285 - 1/8/07 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudracer

Must be just about the cheapest engine to rebuild going, cams are cheap, shells are cheap, pistons are cheap, and everything is easy to get to.

Thunderace, try building a hot version of any other engine for what you spent and see what you end up with.

ChrisGamlin - 2/8/07 at 08:45 PM

You can spend pretty much as much as your wallet / SWMBO allows on tuning a X Flow, Ive seen £9k-£10k 1700 all steel XFlows in things like Classic Clubman race cars, putting out well over 180bhp on choke restricted carbs.

MikeRJ - 3/8/07 at 11:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
quote:
Originally posted by scudracer

Must be just about the cheapest engine to rebuild going, cams are cheap, shells are cheap, pistons are cheap, and everything is easy to get to.

Agreed, just like the good old A-Series a basic rebuild is relatively cheap.

You don't know what "frighteningly expensive" is until you start rebuilding Japanese or Italian engines!