Board logo

Rover V8 starter wiring
Simon - 2/3/09 at 12:57 AM

Er, bit embarrassing this

Took old engine out of car and assumed (yeah, I know) that I'd remember where the wires went.

Also embarrassingly, I had a drawing of the starter motor wiring, which I now can't find.

If anyone has a working car, and knows where the wires go (or has similar drawing), I'd be very grateful if you could share that bit of information. Please

Solenoid pointing down version of S/M

Thanks very much

ATB

Simon

Scotty - 2/3/09 at 07:47 AM

hi
off to work now
but will check later if no one else helps first

craig1410 - 2/3/09 at 01:10 PM

Hi Simon,

I will also check tonight when I get home if nobody else responds first.

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 2/3/2009 by craig1410]

craig1410 - 2/3/09 at 11:23 PM

Hi again,

I hope my earlier post (now edited) didn't confuse you too much as it was a bit misleading. Actually it was worse than that...

Anyway, see scanned diagram from the SD1 workshop manual. Hopefully this is what you meant by the solenoid pointing down type.

The White/Yellow wire is actually the feed to the ballast resistor and helps to boost coil voltage during cranking. The White/Brown wire comes from the solenoid relay which in turn is controlled by the key. This White/Brown wire also feeds the centre terminal on the oil pressure switch. The other two terminals on the oil pressure switch, if viewed with the centre terminal at 12 o'clock and the other terminals at 3 and 9 o'clock resp, connect as follows:

3 o'clock - White/Purple - Goes to fuel pump or fuel pump relay.
9 o'clock - White - Ignition feed (+12v

So, the fuel pump only gets a feed if the one of the following cases is true:

1. The ignition is on AND oil pressure is present
2. The starter is cranking

Let me know if you need anything further and I'll try to take some pictures. It was too dark to get a photo tonight with my camera phone.

Cheers,
Craig. Rescued attachment RoverStarter.gif
Rescued attachment RoverStarter.gif

Simon - 3/3/09 at 12:40 AM

Craig,

That's the pic (I think!). Cheers very much

How the c....? No, I'm not going to ask

ATB

Simon

craig1410 - 3/3/09 at 12:48 AM

Hi,
It's okay you can ask!

SVA date booked for 3rd April - working on the last few items which inevitably yield new "last" items etc etc. Working on my nosecone tonight just finishing joining the bit below the grill where I had widened it. As I mentioned earlier my resin wasn't setting properly despite applying some heat to get the reaction going. Decided to leave it and see what it's like in the morning.

I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now but I'm going to keep at it until I literally can't think of anything else to do. I'd love to take it for a shakedown test but not worth the risk of getting shopped by a neighbour to the police. I think I'll just head to the SVA test nice and early and hope that everything stays in one piece for the test.

As for the test, I'm expecting to fail but at least I'll have a list of jobs to work on then. I do have a tendency to worry about details so you never know I might pass...

Let me know if you need anything else on the starter wiring.

ATB,
Craig.