Board logo

Low fuel pressure switch & swirl pot
TimC - 1/10/24 at 02:05 PM

Hello,

I want to know when my main tank is failing to feed the swirl pot. I do not have provision for, not can easily add any form of fuel level sender. I have a Facet 7-10psi cube pump feeding the swirl pot which houses a Yamaha injection pump.

If I put an adjustable fuel pressure switch (2-7psi) in the yellow-arrowed feed below, will I be able to get the switch to activate if I run low on gas in the main tank?
Fuelsing around
Fuelsing around

My concern is that, because of the free-flowing overflow/return to the main tank, it might not register (enough) pressure.

Obviously, my aim is to not get to this point but I'd like a warning system nonetheless.

Ta,

Tim

adithorp - 1/10/24 at 03:46 PM

I don't think that'll work. As there's no restriction after the lift pump and fuel is free to flow back to the tank then there's no/little presure in the line... I think...

TimC - 1/10/24 at 04:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I don't think that'll work. As there's no restriction after the lift pump and fuel is free to flow back to the tank then there's no/little presure in the line... I think...

That was my fear.

scudderfish - 1/10/24 at 05:42 PM

Put a restriction in the return line?

jacko - 1/10/24 at 07:05 PM

Can’t you put a float switch in the side of the tank so it puts a light on the dash
G

MikeR - 2/10/24 at 09:07 AM

Whats the weight of the fluid in the swirl pot? If you have a non return valve prior to the pot and then the pressure switch between the non return and the pot that may work (i'm guessing). eg

Pump -> non return valve -> pressure switch -> Pot full of fuel