AndyW - 15/4/11 at 03:40 PM

Yup

link

steve m - 15/4/11 at 05:01 PM

I am sure that has been on here before,

It has been on one the other forums i frequent and was declared a fake

Steve

geoff shep - 15/4/11 at 05:20 PM

That one was real I think, but happened some time ago - there was one of a prop aerobatic aircraft that was faked.

http://www.f-16.net/varia_article8.html

russbost - 15/4/11 at 05:49 PM

Yes, that one was genuine, the faked one was a Red Bull prop plane, very cleverly done, but it was a radio controlled plane that lost the wing, cleverley cut with footage from a real airshow.

It is only possible with a massive amount of power to weight on tap, hence possible with the F15 or radio control plane, but not with an ordinary propellor driven aircraft. Even in the cases where it's been done it still requires tremendous skill on the part of the pilot & a landing speed of more than double what is normal. The other minor detail for most prop aircraft is that the wheels are frequently attached to the wings - could make landing a touch trickier with one wing & one wheel!

[Edited on 15/4/11 by russbost]

JoelP - 15/4/11 at 06:01 PM

cant see why he bothered myself, the risk to the pilot surely outweighed the scrap value of that lot, so why not just eject?

scudderfish - 15/4/11 at 06:08 PM

F15 is also helped by the fact that it gets a lot of lift from the aerodynamics of it's fuselage.

David Jenkins - 15/4/11 at 06:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
cant see why he bothered myself, the risk to the pilot surely outweighed the scrap value of that lot, so why not just eject?

Perhaps because ejecting is in itself a high-risk action - most pilots end up a half-inch or so shorter, permanently, due to spinal compression.

mackei23b - 15/4/11 at 06:28 PM

1st ejection in a Martin Baker seat and you join the club and get a nice tie!

After iether the 2 or 3 you can't fly again!

[Edited on 15/4/11 by mackei23b]

deltron63 - 15/4/11 at 06:34 PM

They can land with NO wings.............. it's called a crash

britishtrident - 15/4/11 at 06:45 PM

ISTR there was a case of a US Navy fighter that took off and landed with the wings folded ----- not sure if it was an LTV F8 or an A7

MikeRJ - 15/4/11 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I am sure that has been on here before,

It has been on one the other forums i frequent and was declared a fake

There's a surprise. No doubt an opinion expressed by an expert 13 year old.

Benzine - 15/4/11 at 07:45 PM

should have ditched it and just dipped into the $3 billion of US funding for a new shiny one

907 - 16/4/11 at 06:34 AM

I almost believed this up until just after the impact.

The cockpit camera, mounted in the front of the bubble, shows the pilots head spinning
as the plane rolls rapidly.

The camera would be rolling with the aircraft, as would the pilot.
The only thing that should appear to move is the scenery outside the aircraft.

Schoolboy error.

Paul G

scudderfish - 16/4/11 at 07:04 AM

The video is pure re-enactment for a TV show. The story is true though.

Liam - 16/4/11 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 907

The cockpit camera, mounted in the front of the bubble, shows the pilots head spinning

Schoolboy error.

Paul G

You ever use to watch 999? Those weren't the real emercencies all captured on camera, you know :p

907 - 16/4/11 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Schoolboy error.

Paul G

You ever use to watch 999? Those weren't the real emercencies all captured on camera, you know :p

But, but, but..... If it's on film, telly, or in the newspapers, it must be true.

Paul G

Ninehigh - 20/4/11 at 08:56 AM

This was done on a program similar to Mythbusters, and it's possible but really difficult and you only get one go.

Also iirc flying that way (with both wings) is a stunt called "Blade-ing" or something to that effect

T66 - 25/4/11 at 11:02 PM

The video is a patched together job to add drama. Without sounding spotter like, the A4 the pilot talks about colliding with, when cut with video was a F100.

The speed of the air on the fuselage and the huge twin tail, will have increased dramatically after he gave it the gun. So less lift from one wing, but forward speed and the big tail fins allowed him to recover from the spin.

Helicopters when they lose a tail rotor when transiting dont spin out of control, because of the air passing along their fuselage, ie the rudder effect of the tailfin keeps it straight.

different matter when in the hover.

This article, looks genuine to me, with plenty of added drama.