Board logo

Ebay Question..
prawnabie - 13/12/09 at 08:16 PM

Hi guys

I sold a saddle in september on Ebay. I stated in the description it was collection only due to size and the fact that i could not weigh it. I also stated that I was happy for the winning bidder to arrange collection by their own courier, or to collect in person.

After winning the auction, the buyer promptly moaned about it being collection only and was fishing for a way out the auction. They then decided they wanted it regardless and paid the money via paypal.

Its halfway through december and after numerous promises of "my brother lives near you he will collect it" or "I want to collect it whis weekend when you will be in", I still have the saddle.

I must admit that on one of the instances the buyer tried to arrange collection, I didn't read the email until after the date of collection, but I have heard nothing since.

I have been tempted to just refund the money but you can only refund up to 60 days after auction. I am worried that if I just paypal the winner the money then I have proof it was for a refund and the winner can still pursue me for the saddle!

I have also relisted the item twice with a BIN but it has not sold.

Can anybody enlighten me as to how I can end the debarcle lol!

P.S the buyer lives in Norwich and I live in Birmingham

Ta

Shaun

[Edited on 13/12/09 by prawnabie]

Steve Hignett - 13/12/09 at 10:26 PM

Clean it, box it up, stick a blank address label on it and store it safe somewhere.

And re the money, do what you like, but if it were me, I would put it aside somewhere and not spend it in case I had to pay it back at some point...

Then just wait!

prawnabie - 13/12/09 at 10:38 PM

That does seem like the only solution steve. If I did sell it again it would more than likely be for less than what she paid for it - even then I couldn't refund them more as I would have no proof it was a refunded and not a gift.

Seem like I am buggered either way and have to wait for them.

Steve G - 14/12/09 at 08:47 AM

If you did sell it then seeing as the original bidder has actually paid for it, i think its safe to say they would have a case against you for theft!!

It might be a hastle but i think i'd seriously consider boxing it up and getting it couriered to them (at their cost of course - plus a few quid for your inconvenience). There are plenty of couriers who will do this now.

smart51 - 14/12/09 at 09:36 AM

I had something similar with an exhaust. Eventually the guy just paid for the postage. It only went on for a few weeks though.

Personally, I get annoyed with eBay people who won't post the item, though I have the common sense not to bid. If you want to end the problem, pack the item and weigh it. Go to royalmail.com and find out how much it will cost to post it then email your buyer offering to post it for the cost of the stamp. Or just wait for them to collect.

Annoying though isn't it?

Snuggs - 14/12/09 at 10:54 AM

Email her stating that she has 7 days to collect the saddle. After 7days it will incur storage charges of £10 per day. After a further 14 days the saddle will be sold to recover costs.

scootz - 14/12/09 at 12:07 PM

Stick it in a box and send it via Interparcel... won't cost any more than a tenner (make sure the buyer sends you a tenner via PayPal first though!).

carpmart - 14/12/09 at 12:50 PM

I like Snuggs' approach!

prawnabie - 14/12/09 at 02:07 PM

Thanks for the replies! Looks as though I am going to have to package it up then!!

Cheers guys

eznfrank - 14/12/09 at 04:52 PM

I wouldn't post it, why should you!

My dad sold a kayak on Ebay for well over £100, they guy took 11 months to collect it despite paying immediately via paypal!!

In the end my dad just said look, I'm leaving it in the garden, come and get it whenever you like and if it's stolen in the mean time tough luck - the guy came and got it anf even left good feedback!!

Confused but excited. - 14/12/09 at 05:13 PM

Re suggs post.
Check with trading standards. You can sell it to recover storage costs, but only after a set period. Used to be three months. This may have changed since it is some time since I was in a similar situation. It may only be weeks now, as suggs suggested.

Ninehigh - 19/12/09 at 08:29 AM

Yeah I'm with Suggs on this one. I'd email the guy saying "Collect it or don't, but you won the bid so you're not getting your money back"

Then give them a couple of weeks and sell it again.