Board logo

woodworkers: how to make a simple/cheap (locost?) dresser?
C10CoryM - 28/12/08 at 10:24 PM

Hey guys,

I live in a small suite and am getting sick of tripping over my stuff. I have a reasonable sized closet that needs to be used more efficiently so I figure I will turn part of it into a dresser.

I am wondering if someone can give me some advice on a simple and effective design.

External dimensions are:

34.5" wide 87.6cm
26" deep 66cm
60" high 152.4cm

For drawers I am thinking:
top 3x 10" tall 25.4cm
bottom 2x 14" tall 35.6cm

Material will be pine plywood (I think that's cheapest here). Suggested thickness?
What do I do for edging to hide the plywood edges?

I'm sure I can bang something together, but I'm sure with some advice I will do a better job of it

Thanks.
Cory

David Jenkins - 28/12/08 at 10:41 PM

You might find a few ideas here.

C10CoryM - 30/12/08 at 09:11 PM

Thanks David.

Peteff - 31/12/08 at 09:56 AM

They have some good stuff and some of it's really easy to copy

C10CoryM - 31/12/08 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Do you have Ikea in Canada?

No. Swedish furniture is illegal here in Canada.

Kidding of course. I think my couch may have come from there actually. I've had a look at their site and a few other dressers. I think I have it sorted out.
Cheers.

rusty nuts - 31/12/08 at 09:25 PM

Why plywood > I thought there was loads of trees in Canada? . Have you thought about those little clips that fit onto coat hangers allowing other coat hangers to hang in the same space? Great little space saving devices. Also the fabric shoe hangers that fit onto the rails in the wardrobe or closet as you call them?

C10CoryM - 1/1/09 at 03:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Why plywood > I thought there was loads of trees in Canada? . Have you thought about those little clips that fit onto coat hangers allowing other coat hangers to hang in the same space? Great little space saving devices. Also the fabric shoe hangers that fit onto the rails in the wardrobe or closet as you call them?

Yes, lots of trees here although the pine beetles are sure wasting them. Plywood is still cheaper and I don't really want to spend more money on it than required. Less to spend on the car

I have enough room for hanging clothes. It's more to get my unfolded work clothes and linens tucked away.

Wardrobes here are free standing cabinets. This is a closet in the wall.

Cheers.