Board logo

BEC diff ratios
lsdweb - 15/10/08 at 08:25 PM

Hi All

I've done a search but can't seem to find a definitive answer!

I'm sorting out the bits for my build (a sort of morph from my single seater into my Westfield chassis).

I've got a Subaru diff (previous post) which looks good, is 22kg in weight and a lot longer than the Sierra / Freelander. It was also £60 complete with shafts / cvs etc.!

The chassis is an SEi (independent) so I Won't have the problems with the rear diff mounts fouling the de dion which I was originally planning.

It's a LSD and has a ratio of 3.55:1 which is in between the two ratios I was using on the single seater (54/16 and 54/15)

I was just wondering what others are using. This is a non road going sprint / hillclimb car by the way.

Regards

Wyn

[Edited on 15/10/08 by lsdweb]

Wadders - 15/10/08 at 08:37 PM

I don't think there is a definitive answer Wyn, It also depends which engine and wheels you use.
I switched from a 3.62 to a 3.14 and although there is a difference, i wouldn't say either was better than the other, just different.
For that money i would give it a go, can't imagine it will be any problem, especially for the hills.

Al.

Originally posted by lsdweb
Hi All

I've done a search but can't seem to find a definitive answer!

I'm sorting out the bits for my build (a sort of morph from my single seater into my Westfield chassis).

I've got a Subaru diff (previous post) which looks good, is 22kg in weight and a lot longer than the Sierra / Freelander. It was also £60 complete with shafts / cvs etc.!

The chassis is an SEi (independent) so I Won't have the problems with the rear diff mounts fouling the de dion which I was originally planning.

It's a LSD and has a ratio of 3.55:1 which is in between the two ratios I was using on the single seater (54/16 and 54/15)

I was just wondering what others are using. This is a non road going sprint / hillclimb car by the way.

Regards

Wyn

[Edited on 15/10/08 by lsdweb]

lsdweb - 15/10/08 at 08:44 PM

Thanks Al

I guess you're right.

The 3.37 (54/16 tooth combination) was OK for the hills although I was only getting bursts of 2nd at Llys y Fran which is very twisty. Some of the guys were trying 54/14 (3.86) ratios but you can waste time changing up and down all the time!

I will try it although if I get it wrong it'll be costly to fit a Freelander unit afterwards!

Wyn

motorcycle_mayhem - 16/10/08 at 11:51 AM

It's a Locost LSD, pretty difficult to ignore, in fact I'll....

OK, I've tried both the 3.2 Freeloader and 3.36 Sierra on my Westfield, using 205/60/13. Various Hairdrier units (R1's, Blades, GSXR's and a TL1000R). Basically, anything around this ratio is acceptable, I've got around 8-12mph/1K revs depending on engine. Some have the torque to pull right the way up, some not.

Simply adjust with wheel/tyre diameter

rj - 16/10/08 at 01:10 PM

Are you sure the diff ratio is 3.55 ? , reason I ask is that Subaru quote final drive ratios in the handbooks ,a combination of diff ratio and final reduction in the gearbox , that is 1.1 : 1, so the diff could be 3.9 (3.55 x 1.1 = 3.9), suggest you count the teeth. Could you let us know the answer ? it would be nice find an alternative to the rare long ratio Sierra diffs !

lsdweb - 16/10/08 at 04:50 PM

RJ

I counted the teeth (I'm not at home so can't access the figures) - it's definitely 3.5454. I think it was 39/11 teeth (that works out right)

Unless there's some other method of altering the gearing in the nose of the diff I'd say this was just right!

Regards

Wyn

rj - 18/10/08 at 06:11 PM

Brilliant, what car is the diff from , Impeza Turbo ?

lsdweb - 19/10/08 at 05:48 PM

quote:

Brilliant, what car is the diff from , Impeza Turbo ?

Not quite sure!

Here's a photo of it in (it's not sitting square and probably too far forward)

[Edited on 19/10/08 by lsdweb]

lsdweb - 19/10/08 at 05:49 PM

Photo Rescued attachment diff1.jpg
Rescued attachment diff1.jpg

lsdweb - 19/10/08 at 05:50 PM

And another Rescued attachment diff2.jpg
Rescued attachment diff2.jpg

Echidna - 19/10/08 at 06:08 PM

Does anyone know the weight of a standard Sierra diff?

lsdweb - 19/10/08 at 06:33 PM

Have a look here.

Echidna - 19/10/08 at 06:38 PM

Oh thanks!
So your new diff has about the same weight with the Sierra one, but yours is an LSD. Good find!

lsdweb - 19/10/08 at 07:15 PM

A touch heavier than the Sierra but it's a lot longer so I'll have a shorter propshaft. Plus it's a Subaru diff so should be unbreakable. And it cost me only £60, and I got the shafts in that price too!