Board logo

Which bush (oh no not again)
Avoneer - 22/1/05 at 11:16 PM

Hi,
Not meaning to dig up any past debates or anything but...
My lolocost supplied bones have an eye on the end that is 25mm internal diameter.
If I fit the lolocost poly bushes, that fit the bones perfectly, I have to file about 1mm off each side of the poly bush to get it to fit in the lolocost supplied brackets, which I don't think is a problem.
The only problem is that the crush tube is designed for a 10mm bolt, but the holes in all the brackets are 12mm.
Will this matter or will this create some slop as I know that with the poly bushes, you tighten up the nut and bolt and then back of a little bit. Won't this allow the 10mm bolt to slop around in the 12mm hole?
Anyone any solutions other than to buy the rubber bushes where I can tighten up the bolt fully?
Hope that makes sense,
Pat...

Avoneer - 22/1/05 at 11:32 PM

Just though - it would be easiest to get new brackets with 10mm holes.
Problem solved!
Pat...

Hellfire - 23/1/05 at 12:22 AM

You asking and answering your own questions to get your posting number up again Pat?

Mark Allanson - 23/1/05 at 12:42 AM

You could always weld M10 heavy washers onto your brackets

Or get really clever and weld tabs onto the brackets, ovalise the holes and use focus rear suspension bolts (they have offset washers for adjustment) - instant camber adjustment

tractorboy - 23/1/05 at 01:41 AM

you could make up a bush from 12mm tube with a 1mm thick wall?

Rorty - 23/1/05 at 03:42 AM

You could always cut a length of rubberised belting and tie-wire one end onto the wishbone and then nail the other end onto the chassis.
That's what some of the F1 boys do....ish.

Avoneer - 23/1/05 at 10:01 AM

Hellfire - you got it in one!
No, thought about it afterwards.
Just wondered if there were any other solutions.
Go to re-do the front brackets anyway so that part easy, and the 4 at the back for the trailing arms, might just weld a flat bar vertically on the outside of the two rear brackets and then drill 10mm holes through the middle of that.
Cheers,
Pat...

britishtrident - 23/1/05 at 10:02 AM

The bolts should be fully tight --- polly bushes with sleeves are not a new invention they were used on the bottom trunnion of the Triumph Herald and all the host british kit cars that used Triumph parts. If the bolt is left even a little slack the crush tube will frett in the edges of the hole which will become elongated --- this was a very common failure on 60s Lotus Elans and other Loti.

[Edited on 23/1/05 by britishtrident]

rusty nuts - 23/1/05 at 05:34 PM

Why not get some washers turned up that have a 10mm dia hole but with a 12mm shoulder the same thickness as your brackets. Probably a lot less hassle than cutting off your present brackets, this would allow the bushes to be clamped properly. Just a thought, Rusty

Rorty - 23/1/05 at 08:52 PM

Got my sensible hat on now.
Here you are, what you want are "bolster washers". They fit inside a large hole in a bracket and have a smaller ID.
They allow the bracket to be made from thin stock and yet provide good strength and support for the through bolt. Rescued attachment bolster_washers.jpg
Rescued attachment bolster_washers.jpg

rusty nuts - 24/1/05 at 06:08 PM

Nice welds, are they your work ? Didn't know there was a name for them , Rusty.