Board logo

Rear mounted, small problem
derf - 17/6/04 at 03:30 AM

I'm looking for suggestions here, I bought my rear arms today, and mounted the rear. First, on a positive note, the diff input lines up prefectly with the trans output, I wont have to worry about them spinning at any wierd angles, and the axle wont hit the sides of the trans tunnel.

Now for the bad, The diff has 2 metal pieces that come out the side, they hit the small uprights at the rear of the trans tunnel. See photo.

Being a truck (S10) rear axle it is strong, I think I can cut and grind them off, and make the diff more compact, But I'm not sure if maybee there are oil passages in there or if they are hollow, I am scared to chance it.

I can also move the 2 uprights at the end of the trans tunnel. But should I move them out to the side under the cross bar, or forward in the trans tunnel?

Should I cut the diff appart or move the small uprights? If I move the uprights should I move them out or forward?

Rear axle hitting
Rear axle hitting

Rear axle mounted
Rear axle mounted

[Edited on 17/6/04 by derf]

theconrodkid - 17/6/04 at 07:17 AM

i had a similar prob on mine,just cut the ribs down a little with an angle grinder

Peteff - 17/6/04 at 09:44 AM

Yes, grind the webs back. We had the same problem with a Capri axle first time round. Next time I offset the rear of the tunnel to allow more space.