Board logo

dodgy???
tom_loughlin - 12/6/04 at 01:44 PM

hi, can anyone tell me if this steering comumn has already been collapsed? it came straight out of sierra like this, but looks like it has been in a smash.
im hopefully wrong, but just wanted to make sure.

the second pic details soe 'dodgy' welds, but again, im hopefully wrong.
cheers Rescued attachment DSCF0024.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0024.JPG

greggors84 - 12/6/04 at 01:47 PM

The colaspable bit is further up, its where the triangular piece of column inserts into the round one and has a triangluar nylon(?) sleeve on it. This is what i was lead to beleive anyway.

tom_loughlin - 12/6/04 at 01:58 PM

thanks chris, that was a quick reply
top man

JoelP - 12/6/04 at 04:50 PM

that is the triangular bit at the top, isnt it? the welds look the same as mine anyway, which hasnt been buggered...

greggors84 - 12/6/04 at 04:54 PM

Yeah you can see the where the round tube has been made triangular at the top, this is where the triangle section piece goes.

bob - 12/6/04 at 05:40 PM

Mines an adjustable one like that,passed SVA ok

Non adjustable steering columns look a little different.

Viper - 12/6/04 at 06:26 PM

looks to me like the upper portion has colapsed, the piece that is supposed to be concetinard (you now what i mean) has been compressed...

phelpsa - 12/6/04 at 06:40 PM

No it hasn't. It is strange. Mine looks like that and I got it from ST. I was confused at first but he reassured me that it was supposed to be like that.

Adam

Viper - 13/6/04 at 07:30 PM

sfunny mine isnt squashed like that...

phelpsa - 13/6/04 at 07:35 PM

I think yours is from an earlier, non adjustable car.

Adam

Mark Allanson - 13/6/04 at 08:22 PM

The adjustable columns look squashed from new, the fixed ones have wider corrugations , hence the confusion.

Sierra columns always bend before they collapse, an accident damaged one is dead easy to recognise, they look totally f@cked

ned - 14/6/04 at 09:13 AM

silly question, but on an adjustable column, what exactly is adjustable? Mine has wide corrugations, so must be non adjustable.
thanks,

Ned.

DaveFJ - 14/6/04 at 12:29 PM

Just to throw a spanner in the works - Mine was from a Ghia with adjustable column - but has 'wide' ridges....

greggors84 - 14/6/04 at 01:51 PM

Adjustable as in - up and down.

DaveFJ - 14/6/04 at 01:52 PM

didn't think they ever did a sierra with in/out adjustment ?

tom_loughlin - 14/6/04 at 06:31 PM

cheers for the help guys, your right, mine is adjustable, i thought the squished concertina bit was suppoded to have wide corrugations, instead of looking squished.
the nylon bit looks fine, so im guessing sva man will be ok with it.
thanks again
tom

NS Dev - 14/6/04 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by protofj
didn't think they ever did a sierra with in/out adjustment ?

No, neither did I and have had several Sierras with adjustable columns and none adjusted in and out!! (only up and down)