Board logo

Brake pad to disc contact not right
bi22le - 3/5/10 at 01:51 PM

Hi all,
I have had my car for a week now and I have just noticed this. Its the rear right wheel.

brake contact problem
brake contact problem

The other side has full contact the full height of the disc. I have not had the wheel off and had a look because of the shoddy weather. I think the brake pad is sat wonky or the piston is not pushing it on square. Its a Raw Striker with std ford rear calipers.

Any ideas what it is and what to check?

Thanks

Biz

prawnabie - 3/5/10 at 01:52 PM

I noticed that too!

Madinventions - 3/5/10 at 01:59 PM

Mines almost exactly the same - outside edge of one rear disc is only making half contact... It's been like it for a year now and passed the SVA brake test like it so I'm not too worried. The rears hardly do any braking anyway...

I'm working on the theory of wearing the pad down so it makes full contact

Ed.

britishtrident - 3/5/10 at 02:01 PM

Are there any steady/anti-rattle spring clips missing.

If not you will need to do some careful settling of the brackets.

Peteff - 3/5/10 at 02:07 PM

Has somebody cut the pad down to reduce brake effort ?

r1_pete - 3/5/10 at 02:19 PM

Check the piston rim, some have cutaways in, so half the piston is shorter than the other, cant remember whether the cutaway should point towards or away from rotation.

But it may be your are pointing inwards??

[Edited on 3/5/10 by r1_pete]

mookaloid - 3/5/10 at 02:32 PM

if it is a sierra caliper the chances are that the piston was not correctly aligned so that the protruding lump on the back of the pad isn't correctly located in one of the cutaways on the piston face this makes the pad sit at an angle and has the effect above as the pad wears at an angle.

New pad correctly fitted time.

Cheers

Mark

bi22le - 3/5/10 at 02:56 PM

Nice to know that im not the only one!!

Ill check all of that when I get time.

Thanks for the info.

Doing a track day and the ring soon so I want it all right. My life may depend on the brakes!!

Frosty - 3/5/10 at 10:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
if it is a sierra caliper the chances are that the piston was not correctly aligned so that the protruding lump on the back of the pad isn't correctly located in one of the cutaways on the piston face this makes the pad sit at an angle and has the effect above as the pad wears at an angle.

New pad correctly fitted time.

Cheers

Mark

I agree this is the most likely cause. Very easily done.