Board logo

FAIL .... but ONLY 2 pages ...
02GF74 - 5/9/06 at 06:56 PM

I guess to be expected, some I had a feeling (read knew*) I would fail on, others a bit of a surpriuse.

* now you're saying if I knew, why didn't ya fix ... well, I guess I hoped it would get through plus the test was there as a milestone to get work finished otherwise I'd be putting off doing stuff.

First drive of more than 100m and after about 3 miles, the front carb starts to back fire - it was still dark so the air filer was illuminating ike a chinese lantern ... but after about 3 or more miles it went away never to reoccur. on the way back I lost a bolt from the front carb - related? the menat it was idling at 2,000 but "limped" home the 5 or so miles. .... and both bolts on nthe front mudguard came loose ... but fun to drive

Started off by filling the tank from a petrol can, car on slight downward slope before the test bay. Drive it in, "what's this?" sez the geezer pointing to a pool of petrol!! turned out just enough petrol, maybe .5 teacup spilled out thru' the overflow once on the flat. Geewzer checks the tank/pipes and was happy to continue otherwise it would have been a very short test!

Nothing major/saftey critical; here is a summary so grab a coffee before reading so you remain awake ......

1. seat belt mounts too low
2. edeges - handbrake lever/gearknow
3. dash lower radius (edge can be felt)
4. front wheels outside of body plan (mudguards to curved at front)
5. rear ns tyre outside of body plan hmm... I knew this was prob. (looks like a set of narrower tyres required for retest)
6. edges on top wishbone, sterring arm mudguard styas
7. rear suspension arms fouling body work + nylocks not fully fiuiulled by bolt (not my fault this) - need to find shorter springs?
8. bit of loose harness from body to nose cone (cable tie to fix that!)
9. speedo out by a factor of 2! (so need a speedo)
10. my cones for the exhaust can did the job (will post photos) but no happy about the rubber strip which survived 30 miles but ....
11. the day before I remove the briaded hoses to fit the rubber ones and in doing so, they touch the body work

good points: brakes work properly and self-centres.
wind deflector is right on the limit of the height!

axle weight f: 276
.................. r: 282

sneaked a photo of me on the ramp
on the SVA ramp
on the SVA ramp

[Edited on 6/9/06 by 02GF74]

caber - 5/9/06 at 09:12 PM

Oh well not too much to fix for a certain pass next time! Well done for getting to SVA stage anyway

Caber

stevec - 5/9/06 at 09:48 PM

Oh well at least you have a list to do and no where you stand.
Good luck with the retest.
Steve.

Dusty - 5/9/06 at 11:47 PM

Don't buy a new speedo. Just carefully lift off needle and refit 5 mph faster.

[Edited on 5/9/06 by Dusty]

Humbug - 6/9/06 at 06:52 AM

Doesn't seem too bad except maybe the harness mounts - can you drop the seat/remove cushion, or have you got to somehow raise the mounts?

02GF74 - 6/9/06 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty

.... but the speed stopped working on the drive back home

probably cable though; add 5mph isn;t going to cure a factor of 2 error?

I think a bike speedo is the easiest as I may need to get narrower tyres that will almoster certainly be different diameter.

quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
Doesn't seem too bad except maybe the harness mounts - can you drop the seat/remove cushion, or have you got to somehow raise the mounts?

SVA man said cushion removal is a trick they are wise to; think I need about 30 mm raise - SVA man said he would be happy with a tube spacer on a longer bolt, hmmm..... but I have cunning plan to use box section, bolt it down then bolt seat belt mounting to top and block off open ends; will look at the tube method first though.

Humbug - 6/9/06 at 04:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty

.... but the speed stopped working on the drive back home

probably cable though; add 5mph isn;t going to cure a factor of 2 error?

I think a bike speedo is the easiest as I may need to get narrower tyres that will almoster certainly be different diameter.

quote:

SVA man said cushion removal is a trick they are wise to; think I need about 30 mm raise - SVA man said he would be happy with a tube spacer on a longer bolt, hmmm..... but I have cunning plan to use box section, bolt it down then bolt seat belt mounting to top and block off open ends; will look at the tube method first though.

The tube method sounds like a good way of putting more stress on the bolt, if the tube is purely a spacer and not welded on - strange thing for an SVA guy to suggest! Still, I suppose if it is acceptable, you could do it and take them off afterwards?

Good luck either way

[Edited on 6/9/06 by Humbug]

tks - 2/8/07 at 06:07 PM

I don't think the SVA man said it could be a 1mm wall type tube.....

Think about it, also by bending the tube the bolts needs to enlarge and thats where the bolt comes in power wise..

Tks

dave r - 2/8/07 at 07:56 PM

leighton buzzard test center?????
looks everso familiar

nice guys there

02GF74 - 3/8/07 at 08:17 AM

quote:
The tube method sounds like a good way of putting more stress on the bolt, if the tube is purely a spacer and not welded on - strange thing for an SVA guy to suggest! Still, I suppose if it is acceptable, you could do it and take them off afterwards?

I thought so too - can't remember how long the tubes were 20-30 mm? but these have since been removed for the reason stated.