Board logo

ENGINE CRADLE
Bitten hero - 18/9/07 at 08:01 PM

Hi all,
Quick question to you all ,Is their any prob with only using the front mounts and the rear top mounts for the cradle as their is only a small area to fit the bottom rear mount?bar due to the diff design im using . Engine is a zzr1100.
Seen a few pics of cradles that only appear to have front and rear top mounts being used.
thanks gary

roadrunner - 18/9/07 at 08:13 PM

The cradle itself, only uses the top mounts, the bottom mounts weld to your chassis.
bottom mount
bottom mount

Guinness - 18/9/07 at 08:51 PM

Gary, I'd always try to triangulate the mounting of the engine. My ZZR is mounted as follows, front mounts and lower rears are fixed to mounts that are solidly / vertically welded to the chassis rails, with the upper two rear mounts are welded to the cradle.

If you go with just the top mounts, you are not supporting the lower case at all? I know they are bolted together, but any twist will knack the engine?

Mike

Bitten hero - 18/9/07 at 09:54 PM

Hi ,
Thanks for the info ,I thought i needed to use all of them but with the layout yhe bottom rear mounts are pretty difficult to sort and as i cannot have the bottom rear mounts fixed to the chassis they all have to go on to the cradle -perhaps i sound have the rear bottom one as a bolt in one to make it possible to remove the cradle from the engine easyier if thats a good solution?
cheers gary