Board logo

(re)starting R1
Dillinger1977 - 16/7/06 at 01:34 PM

just a quick one, hopefully nothing nasty..

I got MNR to wire up my engine as i have no idea about wiring. it came back about 2 weeks ago and after charging the battery a bit, fired up easily.
however, ive been on holiday for a week and when ive come back it wont start anymore.

thinking it was the battery again i've put it on a little charge and still nothing.
the battery is reading 12.5 - 13v, should it be higher?

the starter seems to engage for a split second, then i get some rapid buzzing/clicking from what sounds like either the recifier (the thing with heat fins?) or the plugs...
any ideas?

G.Man - 16/7/06 at 01:52 PM

battery is not giving enuff amps and when you crank the voltage drop causes the system to go click click click..

could be flat battery, could be something dragging engine..

Charge battery first overnight then try again

smart51 - 16/7/06 at 02:25 PM

12.5 - 13V sounds OK, although a clicking noise when trying to turn over the engine sounds like the starter motor clutch. It is electric and will only hold in if there are enough volts. A marginal battery will try to pull it in, the clutch will pull the battery volts down and then the clutch will drop out.

You could try starting it with the battery charger connected to the battery, or with another battery slaved to the car. Get your jump leads out onto your tin top.

Sacal - 16/7/06 at 02:39 PM

If Yamaha regulator/rectifiers are like Hondas....they are cr*p

Sounds exactly like the duff regulator i had on my VFR....run it like that and you will boil the battery, i speak from the experience of having this happen with the battery 2 inches from my wedding tackle...hissing away after a long ride out

Pretty easy to suss out though.....run through the following fault finding chart....and dont buy an oem reg/rec, it'll cost you an arm and a leg, breakers will have regs from other bikes that will fit and be a bit more sturdy

fault_finding.pdf