Board logo

help zx12r plumbing
dano - 12/6/06 at 10:45 AM

ive never done any work on a car before this and it wasnt going too badly until it came to the zx12r engine, i know naff all about bikes and cant even work out where the pipes should go to and from.
The system is different in the car from the bike so i cant just replicate that as apparantly im having a feed and expansion system. my new radiator only has two fittings and i have an expansion tank, but what fits to what. i had a shot at working it out and assume i have to fit in some t-pieces but where?
any help is appreciated
not looking forward to wiring it

Hellfire - 12/6/06 at 11:04 AM

Hi Dano, welcome to the forum. We have a ZX12R installed in our MK Indy. Basically, we have a Micra rad plumbed into the ZX12R using a Rover 400 header tank as an expansion tank. There should be some details in the rebuild section of our website so that might be a good place to start. Ours seems to work OK.

Phil

wheezy - 12/6/06 at 12:28 PM

Dano,
On my zx12 instalation I used a golf expansion tank with a polo rad. The outlet from the engine thermostat housing goes to the top of the radiator with a t piece installed which goes to the bottom of the expansion tank. There is a small overflow pipe also from the thermostat which I connected to the top inlet of the expansion tank. The rad lower hose is connected to the engine inlet by the pump. This return pipe also has a t piece which is connected to the oil cooler inlet. I have had no problems with overheating using this set up yet. Hope that helps.

Dave

dano - 12/6/06 at 12:48 PM

thanks guys thats a big help.
and what you said Dave does make sense.
i know you said you havnt had any overheating but by putting in a t-piece to supply the oil cooler, shouldnt this reduce or have any effect on the suppply that goes into the engine inlet

dano - 12/6/06 at 01:42 PM

also am i right in assuming i fit a vent hose from the top of the expansion tank to the bottom of the car?

athoirs - 12/6/06 at 02:18 PM

My installation is just about the same as wheezy's but the small hose off the thermostat also goes to the top of the polo rad. hope you can make out some of the pipework from this photo... Rescued attachment P1010009.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010009.JPG