Board logo

Legality of 'Single' Roll Cage
lsdweb - 24/10/08 at 08:39 AM

Hi All

I've picked up on another forum that the 'single' style roll cage won't be permitted by the MSA in 2009. I was planning on fitting this (I know it'll need a rear brace fitted).

There are others (TimC) who have similar cages on their cars who may have the same problem??

Regards

Wyn Rescued attachment cage1.JPG
Rescued attachment cage1.JPG

Mr Whippy - 24/10/08 at 08:42 AM

pity the poor passenger

lsdweb - 24/10/08 at 08:43 AM

quote:

pity the poor passenger

I forgot to say 'Sprints and hillclimbs only' ........ :-)

minitici - 24/10/08 at 08:52 AM

When you get bumped into the Sports Libre category - just make sure that your roll bar is a minimum of 48.3mm OD x 2.6mm wall tube.......
Protection & Performance in Skipton will make you a suitable hoop at reasonable price

procomp - 24/10/08 at 09:26 AM

Hi

That style of roll bar was never legal under MSA / FIA use in the first place despite a few manufacturers saying it was. Look how many of the RGB racers where caught foul of the regs when trying to run ones of that design.

It is still amazing how many manufacturers are still selling so called MSA /FIA compliant roll bar / cages but they do not actually comply with the very basics of the MSA / FIA regulations.

Cheers Matt

Memphis Twin - 24/10/08 at 09:37 AM

If it's a road legal car competing in a "Road" class, you don't even need a roll hoop.!!!!
For other classes I think you'd get away with it, but I would add another forward facing brace from the other side of the driver. It looks like the bracketry is already there.

[Edited on 24/10/08 by Memphis Twin]

TimC - 24/10/08 at 10:19 AM

I knew it wasn't legal for racing a while ago. I figured that I'd be okay sprinting in Sports Libre though. I'll be pretty pissed if mine won't pass scrutineering. At the end of the day, it's T45, bracketed front and rear, it's at the proper height to clear my lid and, compared to some of the stuff I've seen hillclimbing, it's a world apart. In all honestly, given that there will never be a passenger in the car, what difference would a full width bar make? Last time I checked, triangles were the strongest shape of all. You may have guessed that I'm not at all happy about this news.

lsdweb - 24/10/08 at 10:23 AM

Tim

I didn't want to be the bringer of bad news! I'd agree that the shape is probably far better than a full width bar if there's only one of you in the car!

I'll try and speak to a couple of scrutineers to get their views.

Wyn

Triton - 24/10/08 at 11:08 AM

The regs are for everyone's safety...some are a bit anal like everything in life but what prat would go racing without a roll bar/cage that wouldn't save a sausage let alone themselves.

The race cage I did for the Locost a few years ago was passed by the MSA, I had to draw it make it and pay an arm and a leg for them to say...."pass"
Bet most others you see out there never bothered doing that, I had to provide spec sheet on materials used, type of welding used and how the joints were done...pics before and after welding!!! Oh and I used 38mm dia x 2.5mm wall CDS.

There are cages out there being used on circuits/hills etc made from hydraulic pipe because it's easy to bend. Scrutineers see it's right shape and size but no clue it's made from cheese..

liam.mccaffrey - 24/10/08 at 03:57 PM

Any ideas when the MSA will release 2009 regs

TimC - 3/11/08 at 07:23 AM

... you're a Caterham.

Pictures from last month's 750MC Birkett Relay at Silverstone:

Uno

Dos

?????????????

[Edited on 3/11/08 by TimC]

lsdweb - 3/11/08 at 07:10 PM

Tim

One for the back pocket I think!