Board logo

Earth points
RichardK - 6/4/07 at 07:04 PM

Have nearly finished my chasis at long last just a few more welds and grinds and that jobs a good un

I am planning on welding in some bolts to act as earth posts, but where is the best place to put them?

I was thinking of down near the starter motor, (left hand side engine mount plate) and basically then one at each corner to help with earthing for the lighting.

As always your suggestions will be most appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

jacko - 6/4/07 at 07:16 PM

I have 1 at the back 1 at the front and 1 under the scuttle were the fuse box is

snapper - 6/4/07 at 08:14 PM

I have..... Battery earth to starter motor bolt, starter motor bolt to chassis, chassis to engine ( starter motors are usually mounted to bellhousing) battery small earth to local chassis, and finally don't forget (if you have rubber gearbox mount) bridge gearbox mount to chassis.
You can't have to many earths.

Rubber thing dangling from under car to road with lightning symbol on it.....NOT.

02GF74 - 7/4/07 at 06:38 AM

battery - starter or engine, then to chassis; saml earth strap from gearbox to chassis.

turbodisplay - 7/4/07 at 01:06 PM

I`m not using earths (apart from what will flow via engine> gearbox > prop >diff > chassis).

I know the have a tendency to corrode due to electrolitic effects (please correct me if i`m wrong).

Using a large earth cable for eaths , plus a starter earth.

wilkingj - 7/4/07 at 04:26 PM

This is what I did.

Earth Lug (My Welding!!!)
Earth Lug (My Welding!!!)