Board logo

Chassis latest
andyps - 13/1/06 at 10:53 PM

I have just started to build the frame for front suspension mounts as I mentioned earlier. It currently looks like this. Any comments before I proceed? The masking tape indicates where there are more tubes to go. Rescued attachment front_susp_mount1.jpg
Rescued attachment front_susp_mount1.jpg

andyps - 13/1/06 at 10:54 PM

Here's another view Rescued attachment front_susp_mount2.jpg
Rescued attachment front_susp_mount2.jpg

mookaloid - 13/1/06 at 11:05 PM

Looks very good to me

However I'm no expert......

Cheers

Mark

Mark Allanson - 13/1/06 at 11:15 PM

What plans are you working from?

Triton - 13/1/06 at 11:23 PM

What is it?

andyps - 13/1/06 at 11:23 PM

The basic chassis is book but 2 inches taller. The wishbones are from an MK Indy, therefore mountings positioned as on an Indy. Front suspension with inboard springs/shocks by rocker arm top wishbone - making it up as I go along!! Sort off, there are a few drawings, but I have done them.

jambojeef - 13/1/06 at 11:53 PM

Looks really interesting and I like the idea of inboard shocks, kinda wished I could have made my ideas work without the crazy compromises it ld have meant.

Have you seen Liam's photo archive?

He's doing something similar but without the full inch square rails above where your top bones are mounted.

Just a different way of doing it I guess

Geoff

MikeRJ - 15/1/06 at 02:25 PM

I quite like that design, saves an awfull lot of messing around with the FU tubes as you have a nice straight bit of chassis rail to weld the brackets to.

Out of interset, if the chassis is 2" taller, how much wider is it?

andyps - 16/1/06 at 10:18 AM

The chassis is 2 inches taller, but standard book width.

Top wishbone brackets should be nice and easy to align on the straight bar - unfortunately, I ran out of time to get them done yesterday.

andyps - 22/1/06 at 10:56 PM

A few more tubes added - probably not get chance to progress further for a couple weeks as I am away a lot. Rescued attachment front_susp_mount3.jpg
Rescued attachment front_susp_mount3.jpg

Liam - 22/1/06 at 11:00 PM

Looking very nice - good stuff!!

Liam

ned - 22/1/06 at 11:34 PM

maybe a bit late and not meaning to be an arse, but my take on you current design would be: Rescued attachment chassisfront.jpg
Rescued attachment chassisfront.jpg

andyps - 23/1/06 at 10:40 AM

Ned - there is triangulation to go into it yet - the angles are probably a bit deceiving - the upright from the top mounting frame to the top chassis rails are actually vertical when viewed from the front, but obviously lean back a bit when viewed from the side.

Thanks for the input though.

Peteff - 23/1/06 at 01:09 PM

I can't see why it would need more tubes in the front. Are the wishbone brackets parallel to each other and the centreline of the chassis, they look like they converge in your picture. Rescued attachment front_susp_mount3.jpg
Rescued attachment front_susp_mount3.jpg

andyps - 23/1/06 at 02:48 PM

And they say the camera never lies.....

After measuring I don't know how many times, I am pretty happy that the mounts are all in line within 1mm in any direction - just hope that they still are when all the welding is complete - the chassis is only tacked at present.

I got really paranoid about alignment, and if it wasn't for the fact I thought the neighbours might complain I would probably have been in the garage at 2 in the morning instead of lying awake thinking of another dimension to check - did it in the morning and all seemed to be right.